Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 18 wheeler in canal  (Read 5579 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
18 wheeler in canal
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »

just seen the morniing news with a 18 wheeler tractor trailer that went off the canal bridge and into the canal,cab of the truck comletely underwater i hope the driver's okay.It seems the vedder is taken a beating this season from all the bad things happpening to it.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: 18 wheeler in canal
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:51:55 AM »

that sucks! Hope everybody's alright.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »

Went by there at 5:30 and they were re-routing all traffic through the KWB. Surprisingly, saw no-one fishing, BTW.  ;D
Hope they get the trailer out before the next coming storm.
Please, everyone, do not go near the river when the next storm hits and for several days after. With up to 100mm rain PLUS the snow melt, flooding is again expected.
DO NOTADD MORE PROBLEMS TO THE EMERGENCY CREWS' WORK.
Thanks

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »

Listened to the latest news on this accident. According to fire department, they could not see any sign of the driver when they got to the accident scene. Divers were sent in, and they could not see anyone but visibility is limited. Looks like the driver did not make it, and the wreck including the trailer is to be hauled out later this morning from the canal.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:05:28 AM »

How does a Tractor Trailer fall off the bridge  ??? Going to Fast   >:(

If I had to guess I would say he probably fell asleep whilst driving and failed to negotiate the turn.. it said on the news that it slammed into the guardrail and kept on going ... I hope the driver managed to get out but it doesn't look too promising  :(

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 02:23:40 PM »

Driver killed at the scene. Divers recovered the body just before noon. Any news on the removal yet. I would imagine fuel and oil will be a major concern.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »

CHILLIWACK (NEWS1130) - Mounties in Chilliwack say divers have recovered a man's body from the Vedder River after his semi-trailer crashed into the Vedder Canal near Chilliwack this morning.  The man's identity is not being released until his family has been told. 
Police have re-opened just one lane westbound on the Vedder Canal Bridge.  It will be that way for the next 24 hours. The crash happened around 4:30 this morning. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:08 PM »

Sounds like the guy fell asleep from the news station. I guess at 4;30 A.M. you should be fishing or something less dangerous than driving for hours. That,s a pretty straight bunch of road. Sad, from the pictures Rod posted that was always a deeper hole there. Good place to get floats as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 10:37:49 PM »

One news report said groceries http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/11/14/bc-trucker-body.html

I suppose the predicted rain will flush some of the fuel/oil out of the system but that's cold comfort.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 11:06:24 PM »

Gosh I wonder how you got those pictures Rodney, then I remembered I sent them too you.

I was awakened by sirens going by the house around 4:30. Hopped in the Leaf Mobile and headed in the direction they were going. Snapped some other photo's in the dark. Phoned Global TV to see if they wished me to film it but a crew was on the way, anyway batteries were dead from filming some cutthroat fishing yesterday.

Went home and charged the camera battery and went back for some more shots for the Chilliwack Progress.

Police on the scene would not let the press get too close. Not having that modern a camera I slipped along the top of the bank to get a bit closer and got the shots Rodney posted.

A bit of levity in a serious and tragic situation. While getting the shots I picked up a beaten up beer can and tucked it in the top of my chest waders. When I got back near the dyke road a RCMP officier came by, saw the beer can in my waders. "Been drinking sir" he says. I pull out the squashed tin and show him and say "not likely out of a tin like this and besides it is most likely got a few slugs in it but is still worth a dime" We then share a laugh even though everyone was upset in the events of the morning.

Though Fish Assassin in particular would like this story.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:17:20 PM »

Condolences to the family. It's going to be a very difficult time given that Christmas is around the corner.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 12:29:25 AM »

November 15th, 2006

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »

the driver was my landlord's cousins son, they are pretty distraught and very shaken up about the whole thing.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 12:48:45 PM »

My condolences to the family as well.