Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any word on the Cheakamus ?  (Read 2553 times)

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
any word on the Cheakamus ?
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »

Thinking of scrapping my plans to go the to the Cap on Saturday and head up to the Cheakamus instead. Any thoughts? I guess it'll depend a lot on the rain we get today. Thanks !

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
Re: any word on the Cheakamus ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »

Was at the Cheak yesterday and it was dirty with 3-6" visibility max. With the rain that is predicted to fall there will be no visibility on Saturday.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:44:32 PM »

Thanks FishOn,

Bait ban and spoons only?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:26:35 PM by Kelso »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »

Kelso, yes there is indeed a bait ban. If you float fish with wool, then you should get into lots of chum salmon easily. The colour that has been productive is pink, just a small piece on a #2 hook. The fish are almost as fresh as the ones in the Squamish, if you time it right with the tide. If the water level is adequate, if you are there a couple hours after high tide in Howe Sound, then your chance of encountering some fresh chum should be good. The disadvantage of the Cheakamus is that there are also many older chum salmon staging there. You can avoid catching these by fishing with a shallower float depth. I found that even with a 2 feet leader, I was still foul hooking some old fish. Once that leader was reduced to around 1 foot, that problem was solved. If you are fishing spoons, Gibbs Koho, Kitimat in the 1/2oz range should produce the odd coho if you are lucky. There is a daily limit of one hatchery coho, but you will find most of the ones that you catch are wild fish. As the season goes on, you will also find some bull trout and rainbow trout staging in tailouts, feasting on salmon eggs and dead spawners' flesh. These would be good practices for flyfishing. Also, be aware of the salmon fishing boundaries.

These being said, I don't think the water condition is very good as FishOn has already pointed out. Once we have a few cold nights, then it would be worth to give it a try.

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 02:33:28 PM »

Rodney,

As always, thanks for the detailed information. I have been short floating my last few trips out and this seems to be the way to go, helps to prevent accidental snagging of fish and loss of gear.  Might head down to Army and Navy to see if I can grab a few spoons. Where can I get more detailed info about the boundaries you mention? DFO? Thanks !

PS: May just end up going back to Plan A which is hitting the Cap.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:37:26 PM »

Fishing boundaries for the Cheakamus.

Downstream of the Bailey Bridge (known as BC Hydro Bridge) approx. 2 km north of where Squamish Valley road crosses the Cheakamus River. You can fish anywhere downstream from that bridge.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

I find that if you fish around the first bridge (where Squamish Valley Road corsses the Cheakamus), you have more success on finding fresh chum salmon than fishing downstream from the second bridge (Bailey Bridge).

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 02:44:37 PM »

Thanks again.