Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: factory or custom  (Read 1945 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
factory or custom
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:44:42 PM »

so Ive been reading all the articles on centerpining and rod of choice seems to be the sage 3113, i was wondering which is better a custom made one or a factory one.

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: factory or custom
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:00:18 PM »

Depends on two things: your demand for things being EXACTLY the way you want it versus the price that you can afford. 
President Club S. C. & P.

c_dog

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:18:10 PM »

I have a 3113 LB custom, and I am sure ona the guys at Berrys' told me they are all factory made now ???
"Ya I got fish on, but now what am I apposetado?"

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:09:57 PM »

falling into the same category as a Sage 3113 mb, would be a G.Loomis 1363 and a Talon LT2. Myself.... I prefer the Talon. When Sage came out with "yet another" remodelled rod with the new river line, they did indeed only come pre built. It seems that recently they began offering blanks. I don't understand Sage's constant need to discontinue evryones favorite rods and resurrect them as something better.... but that's the way they like to do things.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 02:30:27 PM »

I know I am quite partial to the brown color of the older blanks but I know Sage did design the new 3113 differently for a center pin vs a bait caster...I believe the blanks are labelled CP or CT to denote pin or casting and the blanks have different line class rating and action.  I spoke with sage about it so in some ways its good that they relaunched that model after a redesign...possibly making the new 3113 better than before (never fished on yet).

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 09:38:20 PM »

I say go for factory, speically the new sage.. Yes, i know it cost more to start but in a long term, its cheaper. Let say, you snapped a factory rod, they will charge you a fee of $45 and send you a new section. But on the other hand, if you got a custom, you still need to pay $45 replacement fee plus the labor to rewrap the rod.