Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VEDDER NOW FISHABLE AGAIN!  (Read 4675 times)

gofish

• doh!
VEDDER NOW FISHABLE AGAIN!
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:13:39 PM »

Sucker!

couldn't help myself  ;), insert  your hate-mail here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 09:16:07 PM by gofish »
get off the couch

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: VEDDER NOW FISHABLE AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 09:16:28 PM »

Hasnt rained for a long time, maybe this is a bit truthfull..... 8)
The Bigger The Better!

OldTrout

• dino on a leash !!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »

;D ;D

At least its deep enough for you to get your boat up there now,  but watch your head on the vedder bridge

;D ;D

fishfryer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 11:17:43 PM »

hey guys, I just heard that it's dropped 4 feet since dinner, should be in great shape for first light!!! ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:00:07 AM »

The river is going to change after this rainfall. Time to bushwack and find new fishing holes.

Ribwart

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 07:53:30 AM »

Time to bushwack and find new fishing holes

That's kinda exciting really.... ;D 

I really hope no home were lost and that everyone made it through this ok though...I know I'll be watching the news today to see if there is any coverage. To those living in the vedder floodplain, may all your homes and loved ones be safe.
rib
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:59:58 AM by Ribwart »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:52:19 AM »

Yes hopefully no homes or lives were lost. :-[   However fishassassin is right!, It will be kind of exciting finding new holes!!
weeeeeeeeeow!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:40 PM »

they're looking for a lost fisherman! Wow people please be careful, and dont be stupid!
Fish killer 101

funruh

• feeeesh
Thieves and moving forward
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:38:30 PM »

You know what really sucks... the dude that lives at the dead end of Wilson road (right near the bear trap) had his stereo stolen out of his  house while it was getting destroyed by water.  UNBELIEVABLE!

My sympathies to landowners and farmers.

I bet the old docs house which was very low compared to the dike it probably gone.  I once talked to the Mr. Robson who owns the property we all trespass on to get to the hole and he said that 25 years ago the river was about 300 feet out towards the other bank.  I guess the river will be in constant flux.

What I would really like to know is how are the fish?  Will the eggs and redds be obliterated and a generation lost or is there still hope?
Hopefully some could shed some light on this.
Another question I have - Is it possible for some of us fishers to volunteer a day at the hatchery to fin clip fish?

I simply would like there to be more hatch fish for us anglers to catch and keep since my catch of wild ones is so high.  Seems hatches are tightlipped or few and far between for me (fishfreak on the other hand keeps me green with envy)

Maybe Chris Gadsen knows something about the fin clip process?

Take care out there guys

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:44:16 PM »

Write your MP and the Minister of FOC with your concerns. Ask for an answer also. The hatchery has the staff do the clipping I believe they just need more money from FOC.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 11:46:23 AM »

call the chilliwack hatchery, and tell them you want to volunteer to clip fish...

(604) 858-7227

They also accept volunteers for sorting in the fall as well, and carcass fertilization.

All very hard labour, and very nasty work in the rain.

I did coho clipping when I worked there. Normally all women doing the clipping... And you have to be fast, no time for chatting.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 02:05:27 PM »

call the chilliwack hatchery, and tell them you want to volunteer to clip fish...

(604) 858-7227

They also accept volunteers for sorting in the fall as well, and carcass fertilization.

All very hard labour, and very nasty work in the rain.

I did coho clipping when I worked there. Normally all women doing the clipping... And you have to be fast, no time for chatting.

Cheers,
Nicole

I always figured woman went somewhere to learn how to clip your wings...now i know for sure!!!

funruh

• feeeesh
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 11:42:18 PM »

Thanks for the info Chris.  I have written to MP's before in the Cloverdale and White Rock area regarding some local rivers.  Unfortunately it is surprising how fast they return the letter saying it belongs to another jurisdiction or MP.  Get a straight answer -- try again.

Did anyone manage to go up river and take some photos and are they posted anywhere?

Take care out there guys

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »

rumour has it from a fairly reliable source that only 30% of this years returning coho were clipped. For an angling system that is set up to be put and take.... and the conservation stamps we pay good $$$ for, FOC's excuse for not funding clipping is ludicrous at best. While politicians and senior department managers get raises and perks out the ying yang.... i'm sure they care little enough to do jack about it.
  We start volunteering to do the work we have already paid for (through conservation stamps) and government will contribute even less money... believe me. Spend your efforts VOICING your concerns instead of offering your FREE services. That said, there is nothing wrong with volunteering to help salmon, but volunteering to do hatchery work that we are already funding is helping the angler and not necessarily the fish.

What i see in the pics , with the guys getting the wayward salmon back where they belong... and river clean up.... those are efforts worth volunteering for. Good on you Chris n the gang, you guys are troopers!!!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 07:14:35 PM »

Very true, but remember the stamps and all that jazz are provincial and salmon hatcheries are federal.  Do they use the $6.52 or whatever it is from the saltwater tags to pay for it?