Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Coho Blues..  (Read 1690 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
The Coho Blues..
« on: November 06, 2006, 10:24:26 AM »

Just wondering how many out there share the mixed feelings I have while I'm out after coho...

On the one hand, knowing there are very few around makes the pursuit and catch more difficult and more rewarding..

On the other hand, knowing there are very few around makes me think maybe I should leave them alone to do their thing and just start getting ready for searun cutties (c/r only, don't worry  ;) ) and steelhead...

Curious if anyone else is feeling this way at all...

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: The Coho Blues..
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:46:40 AM »

Definatley makes the catch more rewarding!
weeeeeeeeeow!

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »

catching one of the few out there is like a trophy . you will always remember where and when it was caught .

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »

I believe hatchery coho isn't used as brood stock only wilds are.  Isn't it? So those hatchery coho doesn't get a chance to reproduce.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »

Bwi, you are incorrect.  In terms of brood stock its better to take 2 hatchery fish in and get their spawn that not having any at all.  With salmon, I would be surprised if they had to use a hatchery fish, but I knowthye do on the cap and probably on the seymour to.  Really thats olny half of the equation, keep in mind hatchery fish will spawn naturally too providing viable offspring too.

The north shore rivers have been barren this year, I don't know if that will change, but I am in a position where if I dont see stronger returns I will ration out my sockeye and vacuum packed red springs rather than go after coho.