Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River anything  (Read 1855 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Seymour River anything
« on: November 03, 2006, 04:03:38 PM »

My Dad used to fish it but then stoped going is their anything in their anymore. Where would you fish it what would you use. Thanks guys.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Seymour River anything
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:49:12 PM »

I have heard from reliable sources that the river has very few coho this year.  seigns of the hatchery pool (for marking and brood stock) usually produce hundreds of fish and that isnt the case this year.  I can tell you I have hook 1 jack coho there this year...they should have been pooring in with the high water last week, I am very concerned.

Pat AV

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:24:34 AM »

Gooey is pretty well on the money, coho numbers here are below average (just like everywhere else). Seine results have been poor and the broodstock anglers are having trouble brining stelies to the tube for the radio telemetry project. I just arrived at work to find the watershed closed and the Seymour blow out, I will take a drive up to the river in a few minutes for a look.

As for how bad the run is we will have to wait and see what the petersen estimate says.

As for my personal success on the river I have hooked 3 steelhead (summers) and around 10 coho so far this year. That is in close to thirty trips, tough year. The worst part is I lost all 3 steelhead before I could tube them!

Good luck if you decide to go steely, but I would wait a couple days for the waterseh to re-open and for the river to get some clarity.

Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 08:41:24 AM »

Thanks guys I might try it I'm not sure.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

winter steel

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:38:04 PM »

Arthur, I wish that was the case. THe past two years for coho on the Seymour have been disappointing to say the least. Perhaps the warm fall and low water have delayed the majority of the fish. However, should they not move in after all the rain I would say the state of our fisheries over the past two seasons (fewer and fewer coho, disappearing sockeye, lower than expected pinks) needs to be looked at and perhaps measures taken. Tight lines, less rain.