Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for catching Chum in saltwater  (Read 2048 times)

Eightball

Ideas for catching Chum in saltwater
« on: November 02, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »

Need any ideas on how to catch Chums in the saltwater. Methods, bait, lures???? Thanks!!!

allwaysfishin

Re: Ideas for catching Chum in saltwater
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:55:40 PM »

there is a tomic plug we have done well with, most guys call it a "wee tad" i think it's a 242 or 246 can't remember but in 3 inch and 3 1/2 sizes.. Also have done well with orange and black tiger prawn hoochies fished on a 3 to 4 ft leader and a red flasher. One of my friends swears by #4 brass and silver Tom Mac spoon fished with 8 ft leader behind a dodger. 

Eightball

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 12:15:48 PM »

I heard small herring 3" trolled dead slow works.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »

Comercial fishing, we hooked them on our sockeye gear (small pink or orange hootchies) as well as purple.  My buddy was fishing them 3 weeks ago around painters and they did well trolling hotchies in a variety of colour.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »

The lesson's we learned over at Brown's Bay were tested here in the Alberni Inelt. Appears to work well here as well as over on the Dark Side  ;D

Need to have an area to work that you know the fish are still feeding in (presence of krill).

Blades: Any of the "JellyFish" patterns - Purple Haze (standard ol' reliable) Pink Haze, Green Haze, and UV plaid all work well. As does the green plaid.

Hootchies: Mini-planktons work well, but we experiemented with needlefish size with good results this year as well. Fastest colours were blue/pink, black/pink, straight pink, and a handfull of glittery pinks/greens combos. Run on a 27-28" leader, and troll DEAD SLOW (as in 0.5 mph!). Being chiefly a West Coast Boy, that last was by far the hardest to ingest! Slow to me prior to this fishery meant 1.8 knots!!

This gear produced literally dozens of hook-ups this and last year. A seriously FUN fishery! Underated by most, methinks those that do so simply have to try it on once. Believe me, you'll likely change your mind once you've experienced the fast & furious action it offers!!!

Tried various spoons (the ones we run for saltchuck sox and others) with little effect. Heard of a few being tagged with rolling 'chovies, but with the success rate on the hootchies, who wants to mess around with bait?

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Nog