Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River October 29th - A couple of sturgeon firsts  (Read 5341 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fraser River October 29th - A couple of sturgeon firsts
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »

In the past several years, my friend Ross from UK has been coming back to the Fraser Valley each October to sturgeon fish with STS Guiding Service. What makes him come back for these bizarre looking fish often baffles me. It isn't my personal favorite, but I do enjoy watching others when they find themselves with a monster at the end of their stick. A sturgeon trip with first timers always guarantees a good time. It is more than just a fishing outing, but quite often it turns into an entertaining social event. After Ross returned from fishing with IronNoggin/Matt at Browns Bay for chrome chum salmon, he headed to Vic's place for two weeks of sturgeon madness. While having dinner with Marco and me just before he left, he mentioned that we should come join him for a day on the boat. The date was set, we also asked fishersak/Mark to tag along as he had never caught a sturgeon before.

The last time I was out with Ross, a 6 footer took the bait while we dazed away. The rod was bent to the point that Ross was having a very difficult time getting it out of the holder. I was hoping to experience similar excitement during this trip because my goal was to document everything on film.

Our guide for the day was Ken Deptuck from STS Guiding Service. Ken, who is also a forum member, has fished with Chris and I before for steelhead. We were very confident knowing that a good rod was on board to show us how it's done.

We immediately got into fish when we arrived at the first spot. The bites were on and off, a very entertaining trip. Both Marco and Mark fought a couple of sturgeon to the boat. I also volunteered to bring one in. ;) The rainstorm halfway through was rather crazy, the heater under the canopy became my best friend. Once the storm cleared, the mountain view around us was rather spectacular. Ross also connected with a few fish. One of them was pretty stubborn...

In total, seven fish were brought to the boat, all were between 4 and 5.5 ft in length. Lunchtime was amazing. As usual, Marco came prepared with sockeye sandwiches, bear and deer pepperoni, wild game ham. Even if the fishing was slow, a big feast on a comfortable jet boat would be satisfying enough. ;D

It was an excellent trip with great companions. Ross will most likely be back again next year so we'll get our sturgeon fix until next year. I just got off the phone with him not long ago and he said yesterday he landed a 8.5ft fish. :)

Photos
Please click on the thumbnail to view.

Video

This trip is also november's video feature for subscribers. 28 minutes of white dino battling action are now available, enjoy!

Part OnePart TwoPart ThreePart Four
Time: 6 min. 36 sec.Time: 5 min. 16 sec.Time: 7 min. 17 sec.Time: 8 min. 8 sec.
Size: 24.8mbSize: 19.9mbSize: 27.4mbSize: 30.6mb
Download now!Download now!Download now!Download now!

Best way to watch the video clips is to download them to your computer by right click on the link, select "save as..." and view after the entire file is on your computer, instead of downloading it while you watch in the media player (semi-streaming, which may have interruptions). The current video window size is set at 720px X 480px. If you find the resolution not great, you can reduce the size to 50% (Right click on video, select "video size", select "50%").

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River October 29th - A couple of sturgeon firsts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:16:53 PM »

Sound's like a good trip. But i still can believe you'd be satisfied only fishing for sturg once a year.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:48:26 PM »

Great looking fish boys . I was out with Ken my first time Sturgie fishing as well he is a great guide . I learned allot about this fishery from him and allot about the species as well . I probably drove him nuts as the hole 8 hour trip was question after question I never shut up the entire day this was a great outing my best to date we landed 23 that day and a few more broke off . With the knowledge I gained that day from how to make those roe sacks with nylons to hook sets water depths and speed  to fish for them I have become a Sturgeon slayer and they are my favorite fish to target . It 's fun trying different spots on the river and having success from New West past Chilliwack And my biggest coming out of a totally different river . This is what makes Dino hunting so fun . When you pick up the rod and feel that tap tap tap you never know how big the fish might be . ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »

Awesome stuff. Just out of curiosity what type of material are they using for their roe bags? They look great.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »

Just out of curiosity what type of material are they using for their roe bags? They look great.

You have to watch part one of that video for the answer. ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »

Just out of curiosity what type of material are they using for their roe bags? They look great.

You have to watch part one of that video for the answer. ;D

Those wouldn't be Nina's stockings? My wife nearly killed me when I cut up one of hers once  ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 03:58:09 PM »

awsome report rodeny!, nice pics
weeeeeeeeeow!

legend

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »

Rod you said you were not fishing in Hatzic hole the other day but clearly in the pics you were in Hatzic and dewdney area  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 04:23:46 PM »

Oh yes we were around there and further up. I thought you were talking about fishingbudda in the other thread.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »

Well just as I thought those are not stockings. So what kind of meshing is it?

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 07:58:49 PM »

Well just as I thought those are not stockings. So what kind of meshing is it?

Have you watched the first video Bryan? The answer is in there. ;D

I am also interested to find out what subscribers think about the videos so far? Honest opinion please, so we can get some material that you like (after all, you're paying for it ;) ).

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 08:00:08 PM »

pantyhoes!! :) :) ;) work good i hear.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:02:50 PM by DaN ThE MaN »

legend

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 08:22:42 PM »

Womens nylons are what the STS guide used the day I was out with him . I have used them for years now and they work great they never tear the lighter colored ones are better as the bait looks natural . One trip out a few years back I used the same bag for at least 8 hook ups and it was still in perfect shape minus all the eggs being poped and crushed . I get some funny looks when I go buy them at the store  ;D . Spider wire to tie them off and your in bussiness . I usually make up about 24 bags at home before heading out and this keeps the mess on the boat to a minimum through them in a large zip lock bag and your off Dino hunting .

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 09:41:01 PM »

Really? They look so clear thats why I asked. So what color are they white? or are they called something else? I did watch the video infact I watched all of them. Very impressed Rod. Maybe you could come out with me next year during pink season and we could do an episode.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »

Hair nets. ;D