Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: copper prices  (Read 2123 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
copper prices
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:38:40 AM »

so the wife has been asking me to clean the garage up for a while of all my work stuff tools,material and left over wire from all of my jobs , as i start a pile of wire not realizing how much i  had it got me thinking, hey i need a new rod for that pin of mine so i was guessing how much i had cause the last time i brought it in the recyclers they gave .99 cents/lbs i figure the pile i had to be about 50lbs so it gets  loaded in the truck and off i go ,when i get there the fella tells me to dump it on the scale and it reads just shy of 50lbs he goes into his wallet and hands me $130  :o i ask him what are the current prices for scrap copper he tells me its now $2.67/lbs  :o so now i think my rod is going to come in a little sooner than i thought   ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: copper prices
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:24 AM »

I fought forest fires for 7 summers and every year, we would get some clown who would steel a role of telephone wire, take it into a cut block, try and burn the insulation off and create a forest fire...real winners.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »

Why do you think their such a concern with thief of hydro and telephone cable...

I like when they get into substations and try to get the copper with the live wire high voltage.  Either it's whatever they are on or lack of knowledge about electricity but the voltage always wins.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 03:15:18 AM »

Why do you think their such a concern with thief of hydro and telephone cable...

I like when they get into substations and try to get the copper with the live wire high voltage.  Either it's whatever they are on or lack of knowledge about electricity but the voltage always wins.
and some common sense,you would think that while standing there and figuring out where to start, that the lights being on,the humming of the transformer,and the fans running like mad would give the indication that things are live , oh yes and the best part is that while going through the doors they happened to of missed the huge sign" DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:17:01 AM by scruffy »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 03:36:39 AM »

Hey Gooey, how did you get involved with fighting forest fires?
The Bigger The Better!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:22:43 AM »

In surrey they are stealing the copper gas and water lines from under the portables at the schools and half the time they don't even turn off the gas before they tear out the lines. Then when the principals or the dayshift janitor shows up in the morning they get a not so nice surprise when they can hear the gas coming from the broken lines. Now how stupid is that.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day