Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Been Finding Dead Wild Coho  (Read 4278 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Been Finding Dead Wild Coho
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:03:45 PM »

the past couple of weeks i've come across 5 dead wild cohos :'(. all from different locations of the vedder. upon inspection, they all looked like fine specimens...no sign of external injuries and no sign of spawning.  could it be they died of poor releases??? would be a shame if they did.  anyone else come across any?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
Re: Been Finding Dead Wild Coho
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »

one at your favourite spot, the other four around mid river.  i found them along shallow pools right at the tailout of some runs.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:38:14 PM »

I have seen 1 so far and it was early in the month. Saw a couple dead chrome whities though.

i came across a couple of doe chrome whities with their bellies slit >:(  bastards

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »

I've seen at least 10-15 white springs in different runs, all of them seemed to have their bellies in tact... And a couple of dead sockeye as well.

It seems as though they have been affected by the poor conditions... And I'm sure there are some catch and release morts in there as well...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »

I agree with Nicole on this one.  Very poor weather and River conditions, with a few release fats.  I have only seen one dead Coho so far, and it was a beauty 12 or so lb hatchery. ???
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:28:49 PM »

I've also seen a few dead coho in the lickman area. These fish looked chrome and healthy, what a waste.
Fish on!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »

And we saw a couple of dead fish at the easy whole too...one was super chrome, just laying there belly up.  you gotta wonder if these are snagged fished that were played too long?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:29:58 AM »

go to a river that receives no fishing pressure, you'll see the same thing.  I remember years back in the creek flowing through my grandparents farm we'd see chrome dead fish.  Pretty sure its related to conditions.  Of course there are C/R related fatalities but I think if youre seeing it in any volume its more than likely related to something else.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 03:09:41 PM »

I agree a little bit of both, Have only saw 1 dead coho this year
weeeeeeeeeow!

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:14 AM »

I was out this morning and noticed a dead chrome fish in the shallows.  Upon further investigation I realized it was a sockeye.  I was very surprised how silver it still was.  I am just wondering if someone bonked it without realizing what it was and decided to just leave it there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »

I was out this morning and noticed a dead chrome fish in the shallows.  Upon further investigation I realized it was a sockeye.  I was very surprised how silver it still was.  I am just wondering if someone bonked it without realizing what it was and decided to just leave it there.
I have found 5 sockeye, 3 have gone in for DNA checking to see if they are Cultus Lake fish. Not sure if the parasite that attacks the kidneys has done them in or not. If their deaths were caused by all the types of fishing activity we all have seen this year that would not be a good thing. As we all know the Cultus Lake sockeye are endangered so if bad fishing practices are causing this we could see fishing closures ahead when these fish are in the river.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »

Hey chris,

Let me know if you want 2 more sock carcasses, and I'll tell you where they are, or I'll bag them up and bring them to you this weekend...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Ribwart

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 09:45:08 PM »

>:( ??? seems a lot more this year than I ever remember seeing years prior... ??? :o

mikethesportsfisher

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »

Could it be because of Stress??? From the river being so low, less nutrients in the water etc. and trying to dodge 3oz weights and 10foot leaders everyday?

If it were that DFO guy at the Sportsman a few yrs ago his explaination would be that the fish (non belly slit) got hit in the head with weights, and got knocked out....this guy was obsessed with fish getting hit with weights  :D

Mike <"))))))><