Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Count your blessings  (Read 1278 times)

Aurora

Count your blessings
« on: October 19, 2006, 10:01:03 PM »

Here I am in China and I can't resist reading the fishing reports.  I got here about a week ago and up until then I had been out on the Chedder about 10 times with no Coho to call my own.  Plenty of fun with Chums and the ocassional Spring though.  So.  While I am here there are more Coho sightings and I can't go find them myself.   :-[ 

Seriously though.  We who live in Canada and specifically BC are so blessed.  You should see the rivers around here.  They are so polluted that I don't think mosquito larvae could survive in them.  So even though I feel it isn't fair that I can't go fishing, I also realize how lucky I am that I live in BC.

scales

• I'm a llama!
Re: Count your blessings
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 10:54:56 PM »

So there you are!!! We've been missing you on the river. You are right!!! we should all be very grateful for what we have. everyone should really be exposed to other parts of the world/people/environments in order to appreciate what we have. So after all that, even the really yucky fish seem precious.   ::) We kept a few cohos and springs in the river for you to play with when you get back...hopefully soon ;D

Ribwart

Re: Count your blessings
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 11:35:04 PM »

There are significant runs of chum, coho, steelhead and "masu" along many of the  northern asian countries...although china doesn't have any recorded salmon returns at least none that have persisted into modern times, north and south Korea, Japan and russia all do...Russia has the highest diversity of species of all these regions with as many as seven species returning to some rivers, but even japan and the Korea's have distributions of 3 or 4 species on average...it is my understanding, and I could be wrong but I don't think so, that in Japan, it is ILLEGAL to sport fish for mature salmon in rivers, and all of their fisheries based economies are hatchery driven...the only salmon you are allowed to fish for in japan are juvenile masu...so yes aurora has a real good point indeed...those rivers likely weren't always like that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:36:45 PM by Ribwart »