Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is fishing a sport? Is hunting a sport? Is hiking a sport?  (Read 3282 times)

norm_2

Why is fishing a sport? Is hunting a sport? Is hiking a sport?
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:38:04 PM »

I am not sure why it is called a sport as it is not the same as hockey, golf, tennis, etc?  Isn't it more an activity like hiking?  Is mushroom picking a sport?  Isn't fishing more similar to hunting and I don't think hunting is considered a sport?  Isn't recreational fishing referred to as sports fishing to distinguish it from commercial fishing?

As you can tell, I need to spend more time fishing rather than reading about fishing.  I hope I can get out soon.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Why is fishing a sport? Is hunting a sport? Is hiking a sport?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

Not everyone think fishing is a sport.  There are people that regard fishing as a recreational activity.  Something to do for relaxation and a chance to get out. 

weizen

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:53:11 PM »

My vote is a a recreation activity.  Not a sport

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »

Probably your being a "good sport" by not calling fishing a sport....you kill the fish sometimes. Probably not a good idea to call mushroom picking a sport neither.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »

Its a good sport chasing a 50lb spring down river, running as the line spools of your reel, and you and your 2 buddies help you land it ;) teem work. and u get to run a mini marathon ;D

Boozi

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »

^^^ hahaha good times  ;D
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:47:30 AM »

Here's what the dictionary says:
SPORT:
1.   an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2.   a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3.   diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

ColinB

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 07:33:11 AM »

I was always taught that Fishing, Hunting and Shooting were sports, all the rest are just games ;D
Especially football ::)

Colin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:14:19 AM »

Running, swimming, long jump, racing.....these are all things I've employed at one point or another while Fishing, thereby making Fishing (note the capital F) the greatest of all.

funpig

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »

It's a sport if it's on TSN.  So I guess that makes poker a sport ;D

The definition of "sport" is so broad these days, it includes anything where there is competition.  There is competitive fishing tournaments. 

However, what I take umbrage to is when certain competitors call themselves "athletes".  I was watching one of the poker shows and one of the players said that poker is an athletic sport because he works out so that he stays fresh when he sits on his my friend to play poker all day and night.

My thought on this is that if you can play the sport while smoking a cigar or drinking a beer, you are not an "athlete".  That would include fishing, golf, poker, pool and darts.  There are probably others.  You can be an athlete who plays that sport (eg.  Tiger Woods is in great physical shape).  But just because you play one of those sports does not make you an athlete.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 12:13:01 PM by funpig »

Highlander

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 01:20:19 PM »

Oxford Dictionary definition

sport

• noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. 2 informal a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, etc. 3 success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting. 4 dated entertainment; fun. 5 chiefly Austral./NZ a friendly form of address, especially between unacquainted men. 6 Biology an animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type as a result of spontaneous mutation.

• verb 1 wear or display (a distinctive item). 2 amuse oneself or play in a lively way.

Hook Set

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »

It doesnt realy matter if its a sport or not. Just that you like it.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 05:00:31 PM »

Hunting (and fishing) is something I take very seriously, to me it is NOT a sport, but a way of life. I hunt for the meat that feeds my family year round. I hunt, kill and process all of the game I harvest, tonnes of work but so worth it. Fishing is more of a fun thing than a harvest thing so I can understand the "sport" side of things. Sport hunters should be dragged behind my 4x4 and left for bear bait hehehe... I have no respect for hunters that are in it just for the antler size or skull measurement of what they kill and those are the guys that I would consider sport hunters.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 05:17:29 PM »

could possibly come from the fact that your trying to "fool" the fish into biting your rig and as such it has a "sporting" chance....Yup, you need to get out more...me too for answering this.. 8)