Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Resole Felt Wading Boots?  (Read 6305 times)

Nostro

How to Resole Felt Wading Boots?
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:43:15 PM »

Any one know how or who would do this?
My pair of Hodgemans are getting bare. The uppers are OK so I don't want to throw them away.
Help please.
Thanks
Never look a fish in the eye.

Ribwart

Re: How to Resole Felt Wading Boots?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

or you can do it yourself....kinda a pain in the but to get the old felt off but not a difficult task, just time consuming...all you need is the felt sole kit with the glue and new soles, and an electric sander/grinder...I replace mine every few years...messy process too though do it somewhere that you can sweep up the old sanded down soles...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »

Greetings Nostro, before my wife gave me a name brand wading boot for a present this is what we always used. I would never on purpose spend more money than I have to on fishing. Some folks are the exact opposite of me and like to spend lots of money.

We used to get our wading boots from Army and Navy or any cheap boot place. They were just your regular cheap rubber boots for 10 -30 dollars.(also known as Fraser Valley cowboy boots) Make sure they fit your wader boot comfortably and you will spend minimum 50% less on your boots. As they don`t come with a felt bottom you just do it yourself. This is the part that applies to you. Use a high quality contact cement and any peice of shag carpert...yes carpet, not fancy felt kits and such but cheap shag carpet or any such similiar carpet. Cut your carpet rougly in the shape of your boot sole and contact cement it on. Simple..so simple..so cheap! Now you have lots of extra money to buy gas, groceries fishing tackle and when the carpet falls off, which usually takes a while of heavy use..just do it again for pennies. Your cheap rubber boats will still be in good shape and your carpet will be keeping you from slipping. :D It is still easy to slip on your lead cleats over the carpet as well.

I have been doing this for years using my old work boots. My employer gives me $150 a year boot allowance for workboots, so my wading boots cost me nothing but the what I pay for the contact cement and my time. When I wear out the thread on my workboots I sand them smooth with my angle grinder and glue on the carpet. I find the leather uppers on my workboots have the ripstop nylon uppers on my wife's hodgies bet hands down.

Some people might laugh and think this won`t work because it only costs under $25 for a pair of wading boots but it works. Another good tip is to always wear a pair of large wool socks over your waders feet to protect the waders feet , make the socks  long enough to fold on top of your gravel guards. This definately gives your waders more mileage as it prevents wear and tear on your feet from sand and gravel and friction from the boots, and is an extra level of protection from sand and gravel getting in through the gravel guards.

Cheers

Nuggy the Thrifty Fisherman
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:34:32 PM »

Greetings Nostro, before my wife gave me a name brand wading boot for a present this is what we always used. I would never on purpose spend more money than I have to on fishing. Some folks are the exact opposite of me and like to spend lots of money.

We used to get our wading boots from Army and Navy or any cheap boot place. They were just your regular cheap rubber boots for 10 -30 dollars.(also known as Fraser Valley cowboy boots) Make sure they fit your wader boot comfortably and you will spend minimum 50% less on your boots. As they don`t come with a felt bottom you just do it yourself. This is the part that applies to you. Use a high quality contact cement and any peice of shag carpert...yes carpet, not fancy felt kits and such but cheap shag carpet or any such similiar carpet. Cut your carpet rougly in the shape of your boot sole and contact cement it on. Simple..so simple..so cheap! Now you have lots of extra money to buy gas, groceries fishing tackle and when the carpet falls off, which usually takes a while of heavy use..just do it again for pennies. Your cheap rubber boats will still be in good shape and your carpet will be keeping you from slipping. :D It is still easy to slip on your lead cleats over the carpet as well.

I have been doing this for years using my old work boots. My employer gives me $150 a year boot allowance for workboots, so my wading boots cost me nothing but the what I pay for the contact cement and my time. When I wear out the thread on my workboots I sand them smooth with my angle grinder and glue on the carpet. I find the leather uppers on my workboots have the ripstop nylon uppers on my wife's hodgies bet hands down.

Some people might laugh and think this won`t work because it only costs under $25 for a pair of wading boots but it works. Another good tip is to always wear a pair of large wool socks over your waders feet to protect the waders feet , make the socks  long enough to fold on top of your gravel guards. This definately gives your waders more mileage as it prevents wear and tear on your feet from sand and gravel and friction from the boots, and is an extra level of protection from sand and gravel getting in through the gravel guards.

Cheers

Nuggy the Thrifty Fisherman

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:38:13 PM »

Don't understand why this didn't go through with the quote so here we go again. I do the same thing with my old work boots. been doing it for years.

Nostro

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:08:28 AM »

Thanks guys for the tips.
Nuggy, I'm with you on being thrifty. Thanks very much for your suggestion. I'll buy some some comfortable durable boots and convert it to wading boots.
Never look a fish in the eye.