Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prawning  (Read 4187 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Prawning
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:42:12 PM »

Should prawn traps be set deeper or shallower during winter time?

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Prawning
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:58:32 PM »

no clue.  However if you catch some, feel free to send some my way.  Can't get enough of those tasty suckers. 

Speaking of prawns, anyone ever use shrimp on the vedder? 

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:20:22 PM »

Shrimps are great bait for steelhead and cohos.  I find they out performs bugs :o

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:51:34 PM »

When I went prawning in Saanich Inlet when living in Victoria, I set traps in the winter around 185 - 225 feet.  What you are looking for (or hoping for actually) is a lane way when prawns move from shallower to deeper water after they feed.  If you can get a trap close to one of these spots, you'll load up.  Good luck.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 11:56:56 PM »

With a host of Biologists as members, you'd wish some knew something about prawns eh :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »

Ya but I think they can help more if I'm after krill. As most of them are in microbiology.  ;)

Hi GoldHammeredCroc is there a certain shoreline feature or sonar image feature I should be looking for?

Thank you

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:43:37 PM »

Honestly, it was just luck that we stumbled across a spot.  What you look for is a shelf as best as you can from deeper water leading into shallower.  It doesn't have to be big, just at least level off.  The funny thing is that one trap we had had 150 + prawns in it and another about 15 metres away had <20.  Its the luck of the draw really and all you can do is persist.  Take a look at a map of Indian Arm as theres probably decent prawning there as well as Howe Sound - both are fjords like Saanich Inlet.  Another suggestion is to go to the Library and get out a book called How to catch shellfish by Charlie White.  It has some good tips about prawns and you'll learn some interesting facts about them.

Cheers