Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroat and Rainbow  (Read 2161 times)

Chuck23

Cutthroat and Rainbow
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:20:22 AM »

Hi all.  I need to start slow to work my way up to Salmon (although I did land a 30lb white spring 3 weeks ago but that was with STS).  I know of good lakes to float fish, but I would love to get into rivers more.  Can any of you lead me in the general direction of a few good spots to learn (quietly) how to toss spoons and float fish for trout in rivers.  No fly fisher here - that too will be a couple more years away.

If you have any other advice for fishing creeks/rivers for trout, please let me know!

Thanks all! :)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Cutthroat and Rainbow
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:36:35 AM »

Using Crocs can be very effective in most lakes, mostly for cutties.

Chuck23

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:42:36 AM »

Off the shore, Lil' Fisherman?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:28 PM »

Hi chuck, because most rivers are crowded with salmon right now, trout are usually being pretty low key so they do not get harrassed. This means fishing for them can be difficult most of the time. However, once the salmon start laying eggs and dying off, the trout fishing in streams usually picks up as they feed on eggs and salmon flesh. From November until spring, the fishing can be quite good at times.

Small spinners and spoons usually work quite well.

You need a light spinning rod, rated between 2 and 6lb, a small spinning reel, spooled with either 4 or 6lb test line. Tie the spinner or spoon directly to the main line, and just cast and retrieve. The retrieving speed is something that you will learn over time. Too slow would make you snag up on the bottom, too fast would not produce many fish.

The Fraser, Pitt, Alouette, Stave, Vedder, Harrison, Nicomen and many others will all have trout around, just have to wait for the salmon to die down a bit.

Good luck.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:58:39 PM »

And by the way the above shown spinners are available from Rodney. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »

;D

I forgot to include this link earlier:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2005/1205_02.html

Hopefully it can be helpful.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »

And yes chuck, off shore.
Good habitats to look for are things like rocky shoals,branches and a lot of nature like thing. March is probably the best time to fish becuase they start to come from the bottom to feed on the small fry.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »

Dont be intimidated by fly fishing...its incredibly fun and wont take that long for you to get the hang of it.  River fishing with flies is a wonderful experience....nothing like it.

Chuck23

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 03:20:25 PM »

You guys rock!  Hey Rodney - how do I get my hands on some of those spinners and spoons? I'd love to buy a handful of you!  As for fly fishing, a good start-up plan would consist of?...  Money is not really a huge issue, but of course I would like to keep the budget reasonable to start with :). I've been float fishing the lakes almost every weekend for the past couple months and have just loved the feel of a nice little rainbow on the end of a light rod!  So much fun!

Winter trout fishing any good?  And along the Vedder, I'm going to assume that the farther up (around Borden Creek) would be better for trout than lower eh?

Thanks!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:25:27 PM »

buy a handful of you!

:D..ROd..what else you selling???? :D :D