Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gate Going Up At KWB  (Read 2462 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Gate Going Up At KWB
« on: October 10, 2006, 10:59:59 PM »

As I mentioned a while ago if all the garbage, dumping, destroying the riparian zone by ATV's etc. would continue the City of Abbotsford would be closing their section of the Dyke Road.

I was told today it has come to pass as the gate is built and it will be closed starting Friday night. I have been informed it will close the whole section of the dyke road upstream of KWB to Barrowtown Pumping Station.

I understand that it will be open during daylight hours, not sure of the exact times as yet. These closures will increase if people do not start being more responsible.

The CVRCC is making a presentation to the Abby Parks Committee next week so will get more info on their plans then.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Gate Going Up At KWB
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 11:23:46 PM »

Good to hear that something is being done, sad that it had to go this far. Why not gate off the entire canal? Wouldn't that reduce the crowds as there would be very little parking.
Yes it gets frustrating at times and I feel the same as you when I see the mess some people leave on our precious river' bankss. However we have to be careful about condoning the closure aspect of things as access once lost is hard to gain back. It is a few that seem not to care and spoil it for the rest of us.

I and others keep cleaning up in the hope it will one day sink in. The Leaf Mobile is full of garbage I have cleaned up the last few days, the good part is I have collected a few dollars in tins at the same time, to help pay for the gas while driving down to do the cleanup. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 11:59:03 PM »

They only have themselves to blame.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 02:38:10 AM »

finally something being done about it down in the lower end but it also means that all those rippers,snaggers,sweepers are on their way to a run near you. in your local waters this friday  :D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:17:52 AM »

I am not sure I like this solution. 

A) it reduces access to the river for people who fish - I doubt these people are the main culprits in terms of the garabage and environmental degridation.  Simply they are punishing inocent people.
B) the "fishers who frequent KWB and associated area, as scruffy stated, will simply move into other areas.  removing the gong show at KWB will only intensify the problems elsewhere
C) the clowns that dump their crap will simply go to another ungated area to off load their refuse, it actually wont STOP the litering, like the gong show, the garbage will just migrate somewhere else.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:49:01 AM »

put an extra tax on bouncing betties, cheap beer and huge spinning reels to pay for the clean up. 

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »

Thank you Chris and others for contributing your time in cleaning up our rivers.  It's a sad state how fishing at the Vedder has evolved to.  Closing down KWB will just displace these fishers to another location as mentioned earlier.  Hate to say but X% wants all these attention they are getting and they rather fish side by side for bragging rights on who "catches" what!  The last 3 weeks of Vedder/Chilliwack river trekking, I witness these behaviour and style of fishing through out the system!  Funny how I never came across a CO.  In my opinion, these people generates revenue for the local economy and thus very little conversation is taken in this system.  Sad but$$$$ speaks, it'll only get worse. :-[

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »

Sorry to hear something like that has to happen. But some form of action had to be taken as judging from your pics on another thread, and driving down there myself to see firsthand some of the questionable tactics used, thing were getting totally out of hand.  Maybe some press coverage by the local newspapers in Chilliwack, and Abbotsford will also help to get the message out about why this action was taken.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 09:21:14 AM »

As I mentioned in the opening post I was informed it will still will be open during daylight hours, just not sure of opening and closing times.

If you are concerned and wish some input in what is going on in this area of the Canal I would suggest you phone the City Of Abbotsford.

Failing that, the CVRCC is meeting with them next week, I will report any pertaint info I may glean from the meeting.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:33:57 PM »

Yeah I caught that right away Chris, the gong show isn't going anywhere as crowd fishes during the hours it's open anyway. Hopefully it will stop the scum from doing their night dumping...but I have a feeling it will just find it's way up river further...

There is a simple solution but it's not being taken and I have a very strong feeling is exactly what was stated already, "Money talks"...while the learned fisherman hates what he see's, the amount of traffic for the local stores , has to be making the merchants very very happy. When I was up in the summer fly fishing for trout, I always stop at "On the Way" store and chat to the lady's in there..They are so happy to see any fisherman, heck, it's fun to feel wanted. They were counting the days till the gong show on the Fraser was over...So there you go, don't think Fred's and most of the other merchants aren't 100% behind seeing the river as it is...And for them, rightfully so, that's their life blood....So when you ask where's DFO and CO's...I think the answer is pretty evident!!!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »

When I was up in the summer fly fishing for trout, I always stop at "On the Way" store and chat to the lady's in there..They are so happy to see any fisherman, heck, it's fun to feel wanted.

Good samosas there too...Very well priced and very tasty.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »

When I was up in the summer fly fishing for trout, I always stop at "On the Way" store and chat to the lady's in there..They are so happy to see any fisherman, heck, it's fun to feel wanted.

Good samosas there too...Very well priced and very tasty.

They are excellent and I always find something different everytime...I found a magnetic likeness of my fishing buddy in there once...Can you believe the guy STILL hasn't put it up in his car?