Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING  (Read 41615 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: SIGHT FISHING , LONG LINING , SNAGGING
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2006, 12:11:37 PM »

It seems as though the gas prices have not slowed down anglers at all... makes me think the money thing is not the issue. Or maye a good portion of the Vedder anglers are richer than we are led to believe, or they live locally.

Cheers,
Nicole

its about the choices we make in life. i don't smoke and i don't drink. most of my spare time revolves around fishing or golf.  so obviously, i can afford to invest any free income towards the two.

my concern isn't for the seasoned fishers who are established in life, as much as younger folks who's parents may not have the means to support them if the price of the licenses become out of reach.

Ribwart

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »

its about the choices we make in life. i don't smoke and i don't drink. most of my spare time revolves around fishing or golf. 

very nice bladerunner....I went this non smoking, non drinking route some time ago also....best decision I ever made...Golf huh? Where do you play? All I ever do besides working on my degree and sitting on this website is golf or fish...I hope I live forever!  ;)

rib

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2006, 09:26:41 AM »

It seems as though the gas prices have not slowed down anglers at all... makes me think the money thing is not the issue. Or maye a good portion of the Vedder anglers are richer than we are led to believe, or they live locally.

Cheers,
Nicole

I think there's a bit of truth here. With high gas prices, people are less willing to recreate too far out of town so they look closer to home to spend their holidays and weekends.

Just another aspect?
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Ribwart

« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »

I wonder if a demographic has been done on lower mainland anglers...might help us some if we could get a hold of that data...maybe dfo has something useful? Might give us the "mean" charcteristics of fishermen on our local rivers.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »

Cheers,
Nicole

Maybe higher gas prices are partially to blame. It creates the mentality, 'I spend a lot of money to get out here so I'd better be leaving with a fish'.
Actions speak louder than words.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »

wow lots of new activity on this issue, good to see everyone, I'm glad I did some whining
maybe next time it will happen before everyones freezer is full.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »

wow lots of new activity on this issue, good to see everyone, I'm glad I did some whining

Don't forget to check some of the other local web pages  ;D, good stuff there also. Good to see a number of members on all of them providing good suggestions as well.

Looks like the local SFAC is getting involved now, starting with their meeting this coming week. ;D ;D Keep the suggestions coming, we may finally be getting the attention to this matter that it rightly deserves. ;D

Ribwart

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2006, 06:28:28 PM »

As I don't fish the sockeye fishery, and thus my freezer is empty, you might allow me some of those sockeye in your freezer LeadBelly, just to aleviate the load in your freezer of course...just think of the space you'll have for next years catch...just teasing  ;)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2006, 07:21:50 PM »

My freez has nothing in it but a little turkey, some fresh dog roe and a few sockeye steaks from a fish i bought from the local.
Still its good to see a few more anti snaggers speak up even if its two months late again :D

Ribwart

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:57 PM »

ok....ummmm :-\ :-\ :-\ I'll take the turkey then!!!! You keep the roe....Thanks LB!  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »

Just got back from doing a garbage cleanup of a bar in the Vedder Canal area. Completed it around 7 and saw a couple of FOC officers checking a group of anglers just leaving the river. So I stopped and recognized one of the officers I have known for a while. In talking to him they had a blitz on today on the river with some other teams out as well. Would be targetting anyone fishing after hours as well this evening.

He tells me they have been working the system pretty heavily the last couple of weeks. One of the officers has been reading this web page the last while and I am sure they are interested in the comments being posted here. ;D

The officier I know is interested in attending the November meeting so I am starting to think we may be getting somewhere on this file as we are starting to get things rolling right along. ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:45 PM »

That sure is good news. Last year the DFO came up the canal in their Zodiac and my friend and I fishing the shore were the only ones to stick around. This was below the #1 hgwy bridge. I guess a few of these people didn't even have licenses to go with their treble hooks.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ribwart

« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »

It's great to hear of increased presence on the river. It's been a while since I've seen any co's....having said that I guess sometimes they are out there but not making themselves visible so as to catch people in the act...but it's good to hear they were making themselves obvious today!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2006, 11:52:01 PM »

This was discussed in depth at the SFAC meeting tonight, a 7 member committee was struck to try and deal with this issue, another meeting to attend. ;D This makes two groups now working on ideas to try and improve the present situations.

A lot of disgust expressed by many with the current situation on the Chilliwack Vedder.

FOC and the CO have been out in force the last while with numerous tickets handed out. Undercover work also. As well checking at the border crossings have lead to some tickets issued.

They are out there you may not just see them hiding in the bushes. ;D ;D

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2006, 06:39:48 AM »

Great news chris