Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My single egg patterns  (Read 2641 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
My single egg patterns
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:40:45 PM »

Am still not to great at this but saw it in a mag. and thought "Hey, I can do that"..pretty simple to do....can use it for fly rod or C.P. no problem..am actually going to give um a try next week as long as this clear and low water holds...could be really good for trout and steelies too ... This is todays batch, some with marabo and some with wool so i can put scent on...

Ok, I'm stuck at home again...damn teenagers... >:(.....gotta do something, I'm going nuts..

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 02:42:45 PM by Xgolfman »

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: My single egg patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 02:47:06 PM »

looks good :P

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 02:54:50 PM »

so Xgolfman, are some of those jensen eggs, or trout beads.  From the pics they look pretty good.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »

so Xgolfman, are some of those jensen eggs, or trout beads.  From the pics they look pretty good.

Neither, I used a hot glue gun and different colored sticks...got more that are like the top left one, the others were from a different stick today..believe its called dark roe?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »

Those look pretty nice.  One comment though.  Try to keep the eggs off center so that the gap of the hook is completely free from obstruction.  Better for hooking up maybe?  I will let you know in a couple weeks if they work  ;)

Oh yeah, to make them off centered, I tie in a little glass bead on the back of the hook first, then use the red glue. then you can really have them off center, and they stay on really well.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 07:57:22 PM by Jonny 5 »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:44:54 PM »

Those look pretty nice.  One comment though.  Try to keep the eggs off center so that the gap of the hook is completely free from obstruction.  Better for hooking up maybe?  I will let you know in a couple weeks if they work  ;)

Oh yeah, to make them off centered, I tie in a little glass bead on the back of the hook first, then use the red glue. then you can really have them off center, and they stay on really well.

Do you mean more forward then they are? the marabo one kind of didn't turn out to great, wasn't ready for the big blob of glue that quick...trimmed some off to keep it away from the hook more but may not use that one..

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »

Heres a picture to explain what I mean.  The power of microsoft paint is incredible  ;D

Also, the little bead makes it look more like a real egg as it has that "eyed" look to it.  The bead is passed over fine copper wire, then that is twisted up, and can be tied on easily.

Hope this helps catch more fish.

Jon

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »

That is excellent, thank you very much.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 02:28:55 PM »

Hey XGolfman you can tie a few up for me if you like I will buy em off ya, those look like an excellent addition to my arsenal

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »

So this is what your after then??? SO cool with that eye in there..

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:10:35 PM by Xgolfman »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »

Yeah, those look pretty sweet, or salty I guess  ;)

Now you just need to test them out.  Are you planning to nymph them with a strike indicator, or dead drift them on a sinktip?

I was thinking that a fly like that fished with a strike indicator might outfish a gooey bob or maybe even a natural egg given that the strike indicator will be WAY more sensitive.  Keep me posted  :P

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »

Yeah, those look pretty sweet, or salty I guess  ;)

Now you just need to test them out.  Are you planning to nymph them with a strike indicator, or dead drift them on a sinktip?

I was thinking that a fly like that fished with a strike indicator might outfish a gooey bob or maybe even a natural egg given that the strike indicator will be WAY more sensitive.  Keep me posted  :P

Will definitely be using a strike indicator..or possibly use them with the C.P. too...