Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder September 30th  (Read 5652 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Vedder September 30th
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 05:12:25 PM »

;D alright, we did take pics of the first few fish, But if you dont believe me thats fine!, Next week Ill be sure to snap many photos!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 05:15:27 PM »

Had a tough time getting up this morning after getting home late from watching the Giants lay a licking on the Bruins (Sorry to rub it in Chris ;D).  Met up with my fishing buddy at the timmys in whatcom.  Was well on my way by five after downing a greasy breakfast sandwich.  Plan was to fish the lower river.  We arrived at a spot that another friend had suggested to us after hooking into many fish last week.  It was too dark and foggy so we decided to walk up river a bit to a more familar hole.  Waited until I could see my float before starting.  My buddy hooks into a decent sized jack coho(15 inches).  Bonk!! will make a nice meal for one.  After an hour and with no fish, I decided to head down to the spot that my friend suggested.  It was busy but there was room.  After a couple of casts, float goes down and a big flash in the water.  This is no coho or chum but a good sized chrome spring.  After a few runs, the fish is subdued (in the water) and released.  Estimated the weight at about 30 pounds.  After a couple more smaller chrome springs and a few dogs, the fishing slowed to a halt.  Very few fish were hooked after that.  Decided to call it a day after noon and head home listening to the Lions game in the truck.  All in all a pleasant day.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »

You guys are all talk and no Pictures or proof, except for roe Kids Minnows. Smells fishy to me, probably just the smell of white springs on your hooks. Time to watch the Bruins game, see what there made of. ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:17:51 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 05:17:08 PM »

ur right
weeeeeeeeeow!

scottm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 05:21:39 PM »

Well took my 8year old son and 3year old daughter out for there first ever fishing for coho.We got started around 9:30 as they are not early risers oh well,we found our spot between KWB and Hwy1 and we were all by ourselves for about one hour and then other fisherman shows up on the other side and serves as a scout for us as to where all the fish are traveling.The 3 hours that they lasted only 3 chum hooked by us but what a sight to see your 8 year old try and fight to bring in about a13 pound male chum wouldn't change a thing about this day or would i ?The kids wanted to leave so i decided to show them the view from above as we were standing on the KWB Bridge beside a nice couple and their dog we witnessed an older gentleman hook a chrome bullet,we let him know it's a coho so he walks it down a bit to beach it we yell down to him check the adipose fin.These comments were ignored and the fish was pulled up on the beach and BONKED!!!! As his buddy is carrying it back to their 2 springs we can see the adipose fin from the bridge.As we all make our way down to beach we notice a fish counter woman making her way over to them as she is calling DFO.We get down there to tell them what they have done in their broken english no understand ,well i lost it a little to much in front of the kids but that was so unbelievable  i could not help it.Needless to say about half a dozen people called it in glad to see,and yes we got the  car and plate number and it will be followed up for sure.I got much more out of this fishing trip than any other as not only did i get a cell number of a DFO officer,i met a few great fishermen and women and most importantly the questions my children had for me when it was over.All i can say is i now know my kids know what an adipose fin is i hope these 3 eastern european adult men do for the next time they decide to go fishing.            

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 05:29:58 PM »

yup youll see alot of that on the vedder, and its sad. Last week I wittness 5 Chum taken home by one fellow. Also the other day a guy drags a coho up on the beach and starts bonking it, as I am fishing across the river, I see his buddy come over and say "what are you doing thats a wild" the bonker says woops, and slides the fish back into the river. Nice to see good catch and release. :'(
The Bigger The Better!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »

...ok, dont believe us. stopped taking pics after three fish cause there was too many. all fish were released, except 2 hatch coho.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:00:05 PM by Coho Cody »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 05:59:37 PM »

thanks for posting pics !
weeeeeeeeeow!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 06:10:17 PM »

Still smells like whites, no coho.... ;)
The Bigger The Better!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 06:15:47 PM »

Big fisher If I recall you dont know the difference between a white spring and a coho ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »

Left the house this morning at around 5:00 with my brother and my son.  Did our usual stop at Whatcom Rd. and who do i see...........Rick and Merc all set and ready to make their way to the Vedder.  Took a few minutes to chat and see if they might share their secret spot with me, but wasn't successful   :'(  Anyhow no big deal..........headed out and tried an area that we don't usual fish and water looks good so we decide to give it a shot.  As we were setting up our gear, we saw a few risers and that got me pretty excited.  At first i was using roe, but couldn't get anything to bite.  I decided to chuck blades and actually saw a few chasers.  I slow down my retrieve and BAM.........fish on!  My first Ho of the year!  After a few acrobatic manoevers, i managed to get it close enough to see that it was a hatch, so off to the beach it went.  It was a 6lber.  Didn't get anymore hits with blades after 45 mins. so i went back to roe.  After the third cast, i hook another Ho about the same size.  This time the fish wins the battle and shook itself free.  My bro was able to get a few strikes, but never got any good hook sets.  Many fish were very tight lipped and weren't interested in anything we threw at them and it really slowed down.  We decided to leave at around 10:30 and call it the day.  Damn...........it's great to be out on the flow!

This Post Is Useless Without Pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps  ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »

First off from the start I knew it was a spring as soon as it came out of the water. What confused me was the missing adospse fin, which I thought every spring had. What forced me to believe it was a coho was the Red meat once I cleaned it. But the spotted Tail and black gums and teeth told me it was a spring. So can some1 tell me when they started clipping springs on the vedder? This is the first time Iv heard of it.
The Bigger The Better!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »

Hi FishiN AddicT,nice picture,glad to see you hooked and landed a nice ho. ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »

Nice fish Buddy!!, Seems your gonna do good on blades like last year!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »

How's the fishing pressure today ?