Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sept. 29  (Read 1375 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Vedder Sept. 29
« on: September 29, 2006, 04:45:35 PM »

Spent an excellent morning with my nephew on the Vedder today. On the way we checked the KWB; there were only a handful of early birds out. We decided to head upriver for some solitude. Much to our surprise one of the popular mid river runs was totally devoid of anglers. There were chinooks surfacing but we decided to push on. We shortly arrived at our second destination. After bushwacking through the bushes we were once again pleasantly surprised to see that we had the run all to ourselves. We fished it for an hour methodically covering the water up and down the shore. No success. I was beginning to second guess myself for leaving the first spot. We then proceeded upstream to the next run. A fisherman reported that he had caught a coho jack on roe. Optimism once again reigned supreme as we worked the run but alass it was not to be.  :( We packed up and moved again. To make a long story short we had a banner day. My nephew hooked 12 and released 2. I hooked 9 and bonked 1 for dinner. (13 lb. chinook)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Vedder Sept. 29
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 04:57:49 PM »

Sounds like a better day than I had. Fished below the highway and caught some lures off the branches in the low water. Not many fresh ones moving about so  I left after 2 hours of paddling and only one bite :-\ Dosen't look so good for the weekend.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »

Sounds like a good day on the flow.  Nice to hear of some success! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »

Thanks for the report.Sounds like you both had a blast at the flow.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »

nice report FA and good to hear you guy's got fish :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 07:44:40 PM »

thanks for the report guys, Hopefully tomorrow will be successful for me!
weeeeeeeeeow!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 08:42:17 PM »

I also had a good day out, caught a few springs and kept one doe. Also hooked numerous chums, but the real prize was a nice hatchery coho buck that I kept.  Great weather!

picture to come.
Fish on!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »

how tough is is to get your pontoon or in my case my watermaster out by the mouth??? I've heard lots of guys/gals doing it and am dieing to give it a shot..

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 10:14:38 PM »

"how tough is is to get your pontoon or in my case my watermaster out by the mouth??"

With the tide change in the afternoon you could row a pram out there. The morning has the low tide and in the afternoon the water comes in and really slackens off. By 4 o'clock pm or so it's at it's slowest current and highest tide tommorrow. I see people in inflatables out there so just time yourself to the tides for easy rowing. As for catching fish down the lower end, there are the obvious spots that you can catch the ones holding up. They jump all the time showing themselves and if you keep at it they bite on a variety of lures I'm not sure which fly would be the best for them. I like trolling for the fresh ones as they provide the best action as in fish per hour. If there isn't a new school around, I do not hang around too long. One of my favorite places to row around and fish anyway, fish or no fish. Beats bank magotting.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?