Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knots?  (Read 1821 times)

Youngin

• Old Timer
Knots?
« on: September 28, 2006, 05:40:37 PM »

Hey guys! I have been looking around the forum and I've been noticing you guys are using 8-10lb leaders.. HOW?? when I tie mine.. I can break it with my hands!! is it the way I'm tying it?? does anyone have a website with some knots I can learn (leader to swivel). THANKS =)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Knots?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »

maxima ultragreen with a clinch knot.  make sure you have enough twists and wet the knot before you cinch it down.  It's very easy to tie and has never let me down. 

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 10:21:13 AM »

I like the Trilene knot for the safety of the double wrap through the eye.

Palomar is another nice one although it will eat up a bit more leader. (good for superbraids)

If I want an open loop, I like the Non-slip Mono loop, (sometimes called the Rapala if the tag is tucked once more)

All of these knots scored much higher break strengths than the improved clinch in my tests. (spent the last few winters, tying and testing dozens of knots to find what I liked)

Tighten down the knots evenly, not too fast, and of course Moisten the knot before final setting.

Here is a good link to some animated knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

fishfinder

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:11:48 AM »

Use the duncan loop knot. It's real easy and it's great for tying leader to swivel (and also for tying flies to leader.)

You can see the illustration at  http://www.killroys.com/knots/duncan.htm

funpig

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »

Just out of curiosity. 

When tying the improved clinch knot, does it make any difference which way you put in the tag end?

For example, after you do your five wraps, you can either put the tag end in the loop either towards you or away from you.

And then after that you can put the tag end so that the next loop forms around the main line or the wrap line.

Does it make any difference?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 04:57:09 PM »

I pull away from the tag end.