Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Vests  (Read 3727 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
River Vests
« on: September 25, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »

Anyone else not happy with how these things are designed? Or rather I should say I like somethings about them but the lack of any padding or yoke sucks...I bought a Fernhill from Freds..I love the large wrap around pocket..the back zipped pockets too, The front ones are Ok, good spots but tend to bulk out too much..and like I said, when weighted down with your gear the thing is no where near as weight distributed as a fly one...and in this warm weather is like wearing an oven on your back...

Are there any others that are made with yokes ( padded collars ) that are decent? I gotta have the wrap around pocket and it's got to be well made but If I found one made like my fly vest, then it would be perfect!!!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: River Vests
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 03:45:32 PM »

Lots of people have the pioneer (not sure about the spelling) I believe. Im going to invest in one soon
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 03:48:32 PM »

I have an original Vedder Vest (made of heavy canvas), a pintail and a vest from the Complete Angler. Of the three I use the Complete Angler on most of my fishing excursions. They are durable and easy to wash. From my experience, most people carry way too much tackle around.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »

I have an original Vedder Vest (made of heavy canvas), a pintail and a vest from the Complete Angler. Of the three I use the Complete Angler on most of my fishing excursions. They are durable and easy to wash. From my experience, most people carry way too much tackle around.

Yeah...I'm one of those guys...and now that 2:40 gave me a preacher..it's gonna be heavier still..

My buddys got the vedder one and I believe the fernhill is modeled off it..but where did you get the complete angler at???? thanks,

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 04:21:34 PM »

Most tackle shops carry them including Fred's

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 08:38:24 PM »

XGolfman, you made the right choice with river vests, Fernhill's are the best quality nylon version of the river vest. The Pioneer, Trophy XL or even the Complete Angler ones don't even come close in quality. The construction and material is better with the Fernhill vests. The back section on Ferhill's have a double layer of material, where most other river vests only have a single layer of material.
I agree that river vests are not designed for comfort, especially when they are loaded full of stuff ::) The only suggestion I have is to either lighten up your vest or get it custom modified with some padding sewn into the shoulder area.
FA, what's wrong with my avatar  ???  Don't we need more H2O in our rivers right now?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 08:40:53 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 08:46:03 PM »

FA, what's wrong with my avatar  ???  Don't we need more H2O in our rivers right now?

Not that type of water ! ;D I mean water from the Gods

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »

I have a Vedder Vest made by Ernie McDuff, but not made of the heavy canvas. Happy with it, but yes, it hurts the shoulders after a few hours. Good advice to get some padding on it or something. Cutting back on the gear is good too. How much do I need on a day or morning trip?  ::)

Golfman, if you get a custom vest, make sure they make a quick access holster for the bonker!  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 09:11:57 PM »

thanks guys, that's an excellent idea about the padding...hmmmmm, might have something in mind about that...AND put on a special holster for the preacher...yeah...that would be sweet.. ;)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 09:57:29 PM »

could you tell me what is a preacher ? and what is it used for .

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 10:06:07 PM »

could you tell me what is a preacher ? and what is it used for .

A nickname for a fish bonker

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »

I have never been a fan of vests for some reason. I always have my backpack on. I have everything at my disposal when I need it as well as snacks and water. Also like to be a bit different than everyone else, its good to be an individual ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family