Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To *NOT* To Lose Floats-101  (Read 2147 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
How To *NOT* To Lose Floats-101
« on: September 24, 2006, 08:24:05 PM »

With all the talk here of people dropping silly amounts of money for floats I thought I'd-once again-share my foolproof method of not losing floats/terminal gear in general.
(Note-short floaters can skip to the next post because they've already figured out a smart idea how)
Anyway it all starts with the lead.
First off fish your lead as a sliding setup-not fixed.You only need fixed weight in the heaviest/fastest flowing water like that encountered when winter Steeheading.
How you make it slide is up to you no need for any fancy attachments.
Second cut a chunk of rubber tubing the same length as your lead, spray a little silicon lube inside the tubing and slip it on the lead.
Gotta do it quick though no dilly dallying around or the stuff evaporates and you're stuck.
Now you fish like you always did-your lead bounces off rocks doesn't stick to them-with fewer snags you lose less gear
including expensive floats.

If you don't believe me Why Don't You Try It !?!?!?!

Of course I understand if a person has just dropped a half a day's wages on floats they want to try 'em all out-but littering the river with 'em is poor form all 'round.

Try something new/save money/reduce litter-it's All Good! ::)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: How To *NOT* To Lose Floats-101
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »

heavy mainline (15lb) and a bobber stop on the bottom and top of float. I use splitshot rather than pencil lead

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:46:02 PM »

heavy mainline (15lb) and a bobber stop on the bottom and top of float. I use splitshot rather than pencil lead

I also use split shot

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:05:46 PM »

The lead's bit big part most certainly.

I try to not lose my lead or any more gear or line then necessary at all costs. That's why I fish the weight off the bottom and use a light enough leader. I think Ive found a pretty good balance between hooking fish but not hooking the bottom too much. The dozen guys I can name off the top who fish this way lose very little gear and their results cannot be argued with.

I just cant understand the guys who fish so deep. They lose so much gear, they're always setting the hook with that big ripping sound and so often the fish they hook come in hooked in other places more often then in or even near enough to the mouth.

The alternative is so much better for so many reasons! I think a lot of guys dont know and would be glad to try something new, cheaper and more effective.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »

I've personally found that I've never lost floats and lead on days I'm not fishing.   ;D  Other than that, keeping your gear off the bottom by short floating has made the biggest difference in terms of gear loss unless you hook a mutha of a big white spring that snaps your mainline.  Then you should switch your mainline to 80lb braided.   :D
President Club S. C. & P.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:01:53 PM »

Luv your flossing philosophy 2:40..........dont you really mean 4:20? ;D

Nope, no 4:20 here ;)

And I like the 8lb for the chum/springs too. No point babying and tiring out a fish Im going to release when I can break it off and let the barbless hook work out in a day or two.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?