Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser coho early September  (Read 9744 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Fraser coho early September
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 04:51:39 PM »

I don't think we need this to turn into another flossing thread   ;)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 05:34:13 PM »

Sweet coho :o

FF

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 06:33:19 PM »

All Tangled Up.....Unless the fish are stacked like cord wood it is nearly impossible to floss or snag a fish on the fly rod especially if the person is fishing proper sink tip methods which is (if I do need to tell you, which I am asuming I do because of the fact that you probably have never fished anywhere else in the province execpt the lower mainland or the Vedder should I say).. Cast 45 degrees down stream and let it swing if you are snagging bottom you are to deep fish eat looking up and you want to be off the bottom at all times. Many times fish will even take on the retrieve. Of course being a thick headed bottom bouncer like yourself you will never get the concept and it is almost a waste of time trying to explain it. But someone else might read it and get the point. I fished this section of river for 2 days and this was the only fish that I caught, a big mean aggressive northern Ho.

Funny how some Jealous smuck always something smart to say ;D

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 06:57:21 PM »

Nice fish FF!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »

Beautiful fish dude.  All Tangled Up, only an inexperienced flyfisher would put his flyline in jeopardy just on the offchance of flossing a fish.  If a sinking line ran through a toothy mouth, it could easily catch and get gouged up.  Experienced guys know this and avoid it...granted, sometimes it happens by accident but its rare if youre fishing like FF is saying.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 07:27:36 PM »

Nice fish FF.  I know exactly what you mean - from a flyfisher's point of view. 

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 07:40:58 PM »

That's why I see fly-fisherman in the rapids of Tamahi all the time! It's a nice fish no matter how you caught it. You obviously are extremely skilled in your 'craft' and take extreme disrespect in anyone offering up the chance that some clown is fly-fishing the muddy Fraser and actually expects me to think this Northern Ho chased down that fly. Give your head a good shake and stop flossing the Fraser while DFO 'requests' selective techniques. I do not fish the Fraser while these recommendations are in effect. I preffer to do the sensible thing and not harass the crucial stocks of Coho that are in the system right now. Keep on thinking you're the man. You'll go far............

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 07:58:50 PM »

That's why I see fly-fisherman in the rapids of Tamahi all the time! It's a nice fish no matter how you caught it. You obviously are extremely skilled in your 'craft' and take extreme disrespect in anyone offering up the chance that some clown is fly-fishing the muddy Fraser and actually expects me to think this Northern Ho chased down that fly. Give your head a good shake and stop flossing the Fraser while DFO 'requests' selective techniques. I do not fish the Fraser while these recommendations are in effect. I preffer to do the sensible thing and not harass the crucial stocks of Coho that are in the system right now. Keep on thinking you're the man. You'll go far............

Just so you know, at the time this fish was caught, the river was probably the clearest it has ever been, as far as I was told by a couple of Old-timers.  It was sitting between 4-8 feet vis, depending on where you were.  That is plenty for a coho to see and chase down a fly!!  I was on the river around this time in I personally couldn't believe how clear it was.  But you can think what you want, and judge people on-line if that helps you sleep at night!! ::)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 08:05:08 PM »

Actually, when I was on the Fraser in the first week of September, the water was coloured - but there was some visibility.  It is entirely possible that the coho took his fly.  With all the dry weather we've had all summer, the water has been dropping and clearing.  In fact, a bit of colour is ideal for the fly - or any method.  Could he have also flossed the fish?  Possibly.  But it is also very possible that that fish took the fly.

As another example - I quite regularly fly fish the Squamish which is usually coloured to some degree.  However, when the pinks or chum arrive - they are aggressive and definitely strike at flies - both on the drift and retrieve.

As for fly fishing the Tamahi rapids - the water is way too fast to properly present a fly into the zone, plus the bouldery environment makes fly fishing very difficult.  The "pocket" water is great for float fishing however as you can easily get into the zone with a short leader.  I personally wouldn't bother taking my fly rod to that area - but I do have a new GL2 drift rod that I can't wait to try out!   :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:14:28 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »

Wow, FF catches a lifetime fish and shares it with us and Mr. All Tangled Up (aka Mr. Buzz Kill) gets consumed by fish envy. Dude I know that piece of water and like BigSteel said the vis was at least 2 meters. I've personally fished it there last year and the clarity is unreal.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »

It is disappointing that this mudslinging had to start.  I am happy for the fisherman that caught this coho, and he was even up front with how difficult it was to catch the fish. I look at this site as a place to learn and share information, not to belittle other people.   And  now I don't blame other fisherman if they don't post their reports,  if this is the type of crap that  gets thrown their way.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »

Anyone who has flyfished Pinks on the fraser knows how eagerly they bite to a swung fly, and I use a light pink marabou fly tied on a size 6 hook, and it's deadly!

There's no doubt that the fish can see the flies, and in case you failed to read, the fly he used was FOUR INCHES LONG!

Felix, I don't normally back you up, but this time i'm behind you 100%... A big buck like that one must have really pounded that fly... I'm envious it wasn't me :D

Tangled up, we'd be fishing size 4 spin and glos this time of year, so you're in the wrong here, the fish can see just fine.

That's all I have to say about that, other than NICE FISH!

:D
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Sherpa

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2006, 08:44:56 PM »

FF,

That is an impressive ho to catch on the fly & extra special to do it on the Fraser.

Great fish !

I can relate to hard work - 2 days fishing to connect is tough going.

But having your fly in the flow gives you a chance in the first place regardless of fishing conditions.  

Thanks for the photo & story.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »

I suggest everyone against my thoughts go back and re-read this thread and determine where the mud slinging started.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »

I did not know Justin Timberlake can land trophies with a spey on his shoulders. ;D

Nice fish Felix, I wouldn't worry so much about defending how it was caught unless the critic was present on that day.