Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ARRRGGGGGHHHHH ... The Dark side!!!  (Read 4069 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
ARRRGGGGGHHHHH ... The Dark side!!!
« on: September 18, 2006, 02:44:26 PM »

It's official...I've moved to the dark side...Ok, just a little..got this set up this weekend. Went out with Indian Ronny and he taught me a few things and I didn't blow up the reel or anything..God help you if your upstream though...I'm 50/50 on keeping it straight..but started to get the hang of it...I can see why you guys are nuts on these...They are NEARLY as fun as a fly rod...

Won't be fishing it till this winter so got more time to practice...which believe will be a good thing :-[ but am actually looking forward to chucking guts and will be trying it with my jiggs too....Still can't wait for the coho's and fly...Nothing can beat that, but this will be a lot closer!!!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 02:46:20 PM by Xgolfman »

Chrome Mykiss

Re: ARRRGGGGGHHHHH ... The Dark side!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 03:03:26 PM »

Wow nice setup  :o You have more rods/reels than most women have pairs of shoes, do you buy a new one each week  ??? Don't forget to tighten that second locking ring on that reel seat, you wouldn't want that Kingfisher flying off on a cast or while fighting a fish  ;D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »

Wow nice setup  :o You have more rods/reels than most women have pairs of shoes, do you buy a new one each week  ??? Don't forget to tighten that second locking ring on that reel seat, you wouldn't want that Kingfisher flying off on a cast or while fighting a fish  ;D

I get and i trade quite a bit...this one was actually done on a trade for the rod and reel separately and cost me $10 total, so was pretty happy...This is also what happens when you work six days a week and have too much time to think about fishing instead of doing it... ;)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »

Boy that Sage 3106L cp rod is sure nice isn't it.  You made the right choice with regards to the reel.  Startup on the kingfisher reel is easy, almost like casting a baitcaster.  The clicker on mine is a bit loud but I only use it if I have a steely on!  What lb line did you spool up with?  I find a noticeable difference between 12 and 15.  Did you trade in your 2106 CT rod?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »

BTW nice avatar Carlo, is the vedder too low for you right now?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »

....Still can't wait for the coho's and fly...Nothing can beat that, but this will be a lot closer!!!

uh...what are you waiting for?  You can get them on the fly NOW....in fact you could get them a month ago...and not the little cap fish either.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 04:19:57 PM »

Awsome setup I just ordered another kingfisher. Should be here friday!!!!!!!!!! :o
weeeeeeeeeow!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »

A  4 inch olive green reel. CANT WAIT
weeeeeeeeeow!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »

A  4 inch olive green reel. CANT WAIT
so you can give me your old one right? ::)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 05:14:03 PM »

In ur dreams bud, Take ur dads talisman ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

Hi Xgolfman(golfman65),welcome to the darkside,it is a nice set up,hope you hook a big one soon ;)

mess

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 09:12:22 PM »

If I was to cross over to the dark what would be a good beginner set up and what would it run me.

Thanks

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 11:23:36 PM »

....Still can't wait for the coho's and fly...Nothing can beat that, but this will be a lot closer!!!

uh...what are you waiting for?  You can get them on the fly NOW....in fact you could get them a month ago...and not the little cap fish either.

Marmont..I'm trying i'm trying..I'm not catching anything or seeing um yet..unless your talking off the points down here, yeah they are all over and jumping but I don't have a boat and the shore access is tough...

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 11:27:47 PM »

Boy that Sage 3106L cp rod is sure nice isn't it.  You made the right choice with regards to the reel.  Startup on the kingfisher reel is easy, almost like casting a baitcaster.  The clicker on mine is a bit loud but I only use it if I have a steely on!  What lb line did you spool up with?  I find a noticeable difference between 12 and 15.  Did you trade in your 2106 CT rod?

Yes, I traded the 2106 in for it..thankfully they let me do that and only shake their heads at me...guess I've done a few rods that way.. :-[...I put 15lb maxima on mine...surprised how easy the thing is though I'm a total freak and am having a hard time with the hand position...I also keep holding the line like my fly reel...beek...oh well, fun learning...

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:53:32 PM »

I'm a total freak and am having a hard time with the hand position...I also keep holding the line like my fly reel...beek...oh well, fun learning...

Hey Xgolfman,have fun learning,we would not laugh at you like you laugh at your buddy :D :D ;)