Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looks at this ebay auction!!!  (Read 3560 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
looks at this ebay auction!!!
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:13:43 AM »

I wonder if we'll look back on the sockeye fishery in the same way.... ::)

QUITE A FEW YEARS AGO SNAGGING WAS COMMON FOR GREAT LAKES SALMON. GENERALLY, IN THE FALL WHEN THE FISH WOULD GATHER IN HARBOR MOUTHS OR SWIM UP RIVERS ANGLERS WOULD FLING LARGE WEIGHTED TREBLE HOOKS ATTEMPTING TO SNAG SOME  OF THE BIG BRUTES IN THE BACK OR TAIL.

GRADUALLY LAWS AND IDEALS CHANGED AND SNAGGING GRADUALLY BECAME OUTLAWED IN MANY AREAS, HOW EVER THERE WERE GREY AREAS CONCERNING WHAT WAS A SNAG HOOK AND WHAT WAS A LEGAL LURE. THATS WHERE THESE FEATHERED SNAG HOOKS COME INTO PLAY, HOME MADE, UGLY AS HELL, "HONEST WORDEN,I'M TRYING TO GET THESE FISH TO BITE THIS 'FLY".

THIS ASSORTMENT OF MONSTER KILLERS WILL DELIGHT ALL!

HOOKS APPEAR TO BE ABOUT 3/0 TO 5/0 AND MOST ARE ABOUT 4-5" LONG WITH THE FEATHERS

THE SPARSELY DRESSED ONE SEEMS TO BE BUC KTAIL AND HAS GREEN GLITTER!

PERHAPS THE IDEAL GIFT FOR YOUR ELITEST FLY FISHING CO-WORKER

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHINOOK-COHO-SALMON-WET-FLIES-SNAGGERS-SPECIAL_W0QQitemZ190032704251QQihZ009QQcategoryZ793QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: looks at this ebay auction!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:28:43 AM »

I guess it's legal to fish this way in Chicago

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:29:19 AM »

mother of god  :o >:(
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:32:55 AM »

It look slike that auction is meant to be a joke, at least the flies are... maybe someone should post that on the other site :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:33:32 AM »

Bid on my item please, I need to buy food. :)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »

Is that hook not called a kieth wilson special  ;D ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »

Ya,ebay has all sorts of neat old things...I have seen fishing spears used to spear sturgeo.    Imagine having enough sturgeon arounds that a) you could retain them and b) they were plentiful enuff to spear fish...wonder what a 6 footer would be like on a hand line  :o

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 01:14:08 PM »

Can you say Burn baby Burn  :'( :'( :'( .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 04:22:03 PM »

Ebay is great for buying stuff. They have tons of weird things too. Some of my older pins I got from ebay
weeeeeeeeeow!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 06:47:52 PM »

I saw a special on TV long time ago some where in the states (Cant remember the area) showed around a 100 boats with 3 people in each boat trolling and what we call ripping the line out of the water for no reason, what the narraotr said is the type of fish there fishing for dont bite and thats how there caught trolling and ripping the line over and over again till they hooked a fish, and no joke those flies you showing us from ebay are the exact ones showed on the tv show (I wish i could remember the name of the rea and show)

I think I saw the same one.  It was certainly in the South and they were "fishing" for paddlefish.  They just drive along in the boats jerking the rods and trying the snag a paddlefish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »

Similar to what I saw in action at Island 22 on Saturday. As they came by me when I was launching the Leaf Craft I noticed they all had barbs on the triples as well. ??? I politely reminded them of their errors, they had no idea of the regulations. :o
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 07:17:25 PM by chris gadsden »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 08:07:41 PM »

Ya,ebay has all sorts of neat old things...I have seen fishing spears used to spear sturgeo.    Imagine having enough sturgeon arounds that a) you could retain them and b) they were plentiful enuff to spear fish...wonder what a 6 footer would be like on a hand line  :o

I saw an article a while ago about an ice-fishing tournament that was based around who could spear the biggest sturgeon through the ice on a frozen lake somewhere in the states. They seemed to use a 3 pronged barbed trident looking thing and tried to hit the fish somewhere hard (not difficult with a sturgeon...) and pull it through a hole in the ice. From what I read, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) there was something like 200 people in shacks, and 6 fish were taken on the day, the biggets looked about 6 ft long.

Pretty barbaric to me but hey, it's cold...gotta do something  :P ::)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote