Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What main line do you use?  (Read 4239 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: What main line do you use?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 06:43:29 PM »

I agree with the line size.  Maxima Ultragreen usually works fine, but when the water is gin clear, I usually switch to flourocarbon.   One other hint; change your line often.  I usually change mine every 6 times out.  Sometimes more often, sometimes less.  It just depends on the weather and how tough I am on the line. 

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 07:03:57 PM »

Alright thanks for the tip

So i should bring 6.8.10.12 lb test?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 07:13:20 PM »

Small fish, because you kept asking about line test, I think you need to understand a few things. Many times it is personal preference, and that comes from experience over the years to figure out what is best for YOU. The best people can do is to recommend what you should use based on their experience, but until you actually go out and try it out, these are simply recommendations, not definite answers.

I will break down what lines are typically used for what species of fish:

Trout (locally stocked one) - 2 to 4lb test
Pink salmon - 6 to 10lb test
Coho salmon - 6 to 12lb test
Chinook salmon - 8 to 20lb test
Chum salmon - 8 to 15lb test
Cutthroat trout, bull trout in rivers - 4 to 8lb test

Each species come in all sizes, depending on what rivers you are fishing at. The Capilano coho can be between 2 and 6lb. The Chilliwack River coho can be between 4 and 18lb. Your best choice is to find out what size range the fish are in a particular river, then choose your line that best suit that river.

PERSONALLY, I like to use 12lb test main line and 8lb or 6lb test leader on my baitcasting setup that I use for coho and chum in the Capilano, Squamish, Chilliwack, Stave, etc. For chinook, I like to use 15lb test main line and 10lb or 12lb test leader because the fish are larger.

For spincasting, I like to use 8lb main line, and tie a lure directly onto the main line. I use this for coho, pink and some chum in all rivers. This setup is slightly too light for chum salmon, but can bring in the fish if you take your time.

Fishing is unpredictable, that's why there isn't a textbook for it that can guarantee you success in every situation. After you try this out for several years, you will be able to decide which lines are best for which situations.

What's best for others may also not be best for you, because you are smaller. Body size does influence what you should use. You do not want to be fitted with an oversized rod, reel, line etc, so it is best to ask most of these questions in person at a tacklestore when you actually have a rod in your hand.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 09:24:16 PM »

Fishermen should refer to the scouting slogan "be prepared".  I have 6 different leader spools (4-15lb) and I usually carry a range of 3-4 in my vest.  so if I am fishing coho usually 8lb does it, but if I want a spring or I am encountering lots of springs I size up to 10 or 12.  Conversely, if the water condition changes...ie rise or fall and can move my leader sizing accordingly based on what I carry in my vest.  Sorry small fish, that was a pretty long answer to confirm that you are better of carry a range of leader lines.