- 1 (3.8%)
Stren
- 0 (0%)
Braided
- 3 (11.5%)
Other
- 5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: line choice  (Read 1880 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
line choice
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:15:03 PM »

Personally, when I'm fishing for any species, I'll go with 18 lb main line and 15 lb leader (Maxima Ultragreen).  I'll size down for coho and steelhead.  I don't really like braided because it transfers too much shock to your leader and rod.  Also, too much of the stuff is hung up on rocks which only increases the # of snags out there. 

Feel free to add your .02 when it comes to line size and color.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: line choice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 01:19:05 PM »

hard one to vote on because I use a few different types for different applications, I guess Maxima UG 12 pound main with Maxima 6-10 lb leader would be my most used combo

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »

Maxima for main and leader too

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:29:46 PM »

not enough choices. Over the course of the past year, Maxima U.G., Seaguar flou.carbon, Trilene Big game, Stren Dura-tuf, Mustad Pro Plus, Mustad Thor, Trilene Fireline, Ande braid, T.U.F. xp braid, Ande envy green, new Trilene firleine crystal, new Trilene Maxx and last but not least Rapala titanium braid.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 02:34:42 PM »

ANDE green and Big Game green are awesome for mainline - maxima for leader. I think maxima on mainline is a waste of $.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »

Tuff XP for main line and Maxima Ultragreen for leaders

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »

ANDE mainline 12lbs and anything from 8-10lbs for leader also ANDE line

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 02:55:09 PM »

Salmon - 8-25 lb Maxima Ultra-Green (Salt and Fresh, level-winds and moochers)
Salmon - 8 lb Triline (Fresh, spinning reels)
Bottom-fishing - 50 lb TUFF xp. line (bright yellow stuff) (Salt, level-winds))

Maxima is my overall choice (and the one I voted for), amazing durability through nicks and frays (sometimes I get lazy and don't bother changing it :-X and still land plenty of fish). The diametre is higher than most brands of a similar test, but I've heard that maxima does under-rate their line (25 lb test marked as 20 lb, for example), thougn this does make the line very easy to handle with good knot strength. Has low line memory when used on levelwinds, have used it on spinning reels, and didn't really like how it performed in some of the lighter tests (8 lbs), it seemed to fly off the spool to fast (as in the lure landed in the water, and line kept paying out like it was still in flight), this could have something to do with line memory, experts ? ??? Overall, I've found this line to be superior than most other lines when used on levelwind reels, and very good for mooching reels, dunno about centre-pins. One downside is the tendency to turn white after a few months of intense use, and also the fact it has quite a high stretch percentage.

I have used Triline for a while for my spinning rigs, stays pretty limp when casted, but I've had some problems with it breaking when tying knots (takes a few attempts to get one to stay without snapping). This line tends to have a low diametre for its marked strength, which is quite nice to have. Comes off the spool nicely when casted with spinners and spoons. I've noticed line stretch to be quite low with this line (lower than maxima), the clearer lines seem to also have a problem with turning white after not much use at all really, I try to change the line a few times a season, whereas I like to change my Maxima once a season.

Bottom feel is critical for me when I bottom-fish from a boat for halibut, lingcod, etc. (especially at 200+ feet) TUFF line has virtually zero stretch, but 50 lb TUFF line has the diametre of 9 lb mono, this is an added advantage when the current is ripping and getting you're gear to stay on bottom. The down-sides of this stuff is that it is not very nice to handle (tying knots, breaking snags), cuts your hands when they are wet. Sometimes if it was spooled incorrectly, it can dig into itself on the spool when the drag is high and the fish is pulling strong. Other than that, I have all good things to say, as long as there is a mono "base-backing" on the spool to give it some grip on the reel spool. Having it bright yellow is easy on the eyes to see when the rod is in a rod holder and you're at the wheel of a boat, especially if it's lower-light conditions and you have sunglasses on.

Havn't used it in the rivers, but seen it used (and found it in snags >:( ), probably nice for bottom-bouncing due to increased feel of the bottom.

There's what I have to say about lines, take it for what it's worth, try some different ones out, come to your own conclusions.

If you're going to be spooling a few reels, go and buy a bulk spool, they are expensive, but worth it after a season or 2 of fishing.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote