Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Citizen Patrol  (Read 3018 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Citizen Patrol
« on: September 14, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »

As there are not enough DFO to spread around, would it be realistic to have DFO trained and approved CITIZENS patrol the high traffic areas for violators!  This includes all bank fisheries, maybe it could go even farther!  Ideas! ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Citizen Patrol
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:29:22 PM »

Will DFO be willing to accept liability if one of the volunteers get injured ?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »

Do we get semi autos to show whos boss. I can drive a tank. No spend 2 billion on a "Olympic" that you need a "Winter" to participate in . That should exclude 90 percent of the worlds population. No cash left for COs or DFO help.
ranting...
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »

There would be abuse and biased decisions.  Who would pay to train the "volunteers" ?

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 09:46:47 PM »

The RCMP have reserve officers!  Why not reserve DFO officers!  I am not talking about first nation reserves by the way!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »

Well the RCMP have auxillary police and they are covered by worksafe B.C. So it would work the same with DFO. If they put one full dfo officer with an auxillary during peak fishing times like during sockeye season instead of two full dfo together you would have twice as many officers on the water. Does that not make sense it sure would save alot of money and would provide more inforcement which would create more money from the extra fines.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

weizen

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:07 PM »

Well the RCMP have auxillary police and they are covered by worksafe B.C. So it would work the same with DFO. If they put one full dfo officer with an auxillary during peak fishing times like during sockeye season instead of two full dfo together you would have twice as many officers on the water. Does that not make sense it sure would save alot of money and would provide more inforcement which would create more money from the extra fines.

I'd be for that.  It's  good idea.  I'm sure there are quite a few people that would volunteer time to become auxillary DFO guys.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:06:30 PM »

Sorry I did mean auxillary officers, bad wording on my part!  I think a lot of peopel would be willing to take this on.  What do you think Chris, Rod, others!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:28:05 PM »

Sorry I did mean auxillary officers, bad wording on my part!  I think a lot of peopel would be willing to take this on.  What do you think Chris, Rod, others!
We tried several years ago to do this. We had a meeting with RCMP and DFO and that was as far as it went as they did not encourage us too much as there was liability and union problems if I remember. However that was then it may be more workable these days.

But hey give it a try and see if you can set up a meeting with FOC and please keep us informed how you make out. Your idea has merit thats for sure.

Bonanza

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 12:25:37 AM »

I got into trouble on the other site for making heated remarks about the big brother is watching aspect of sockeye fishing. So I will not go down that road again. What I will say is live and let live! If you see some thing that you think is out side of the regs , talk to the person and nicely tell them what you think the problem is and I think 99% of the problems could be solved. We go fishing to relax and enjoy nature , not to deal with self appointed judge and jury!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »

I agree, don't be an idiot about it, but if it rubs you the wrong way, please tell them what you think.

I am in favor however with a large citizen effort to catch the idiots who break into cars.  It wouldn't take much to raise some money to hang some cameras at popular parking sites and monitor from time to time.  I know I would certainly pay an extra $1 or 2 on my fishing license for safer parking. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 11:12:15 AM »

id pay an extra 30 bucks if i knew thats what it was going to...

as for a citizen patrol...things can get ugly quickly and the vast majority of people arent trained well enough to prevent situations from escalating.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:14:40 AM by marmot »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 12:50:01 PM »

better to push for increased police patrols.  so called citizens patrol will never be condoned.

it has failed in the past.  perfect example is the red baret from the late '70s and early '80s. founded in new york, tried to be introduced to east hastings... public outcry over militia style patrol (although formated for observation and reporting originally)

organization later defunked.

good intentions, but lack of discipline through the ranks.  very difficult to screen from the yahoos, to the cowboys, to concerned well balanced citizens.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 01:11:56 PM »

You're referring to the Guardian Angels. They were not welcomed by the Vancouver City Police back in the 80's. The are once again trying to set up a local chapter. This time they are welcomed by the police but is having problems recruiting members.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 01:21:16 PM »

You're referring to the Guardian Angels. They were not welcomed by the Vancouver City Police back in the 80's. The are once again trying to set up a local chapter. This time they are welcomed by the police but is having problems recruiting members.

yes the guardian angels... a faction of them tried to branch out as the red barets to distance their association with the founding group.