Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now this is what I call catch and release - 2,000 pounds of it.  (Read 1700 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Now this is what I call catch and release - 2,000 pounds of it.
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:28:03 AM »

EXCERPT - Some fishing from Texas.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=510736&page=1

Jeff's brother, Mike, is in town from Texas and he wanted to get on the beach to do a little shark fishing. David and I got on the beach around 6 PM at a usual shark haunt. Jeff and Mike were already there fishing for bait. No fresh bait besides a small spanish to be had, but we went with frozen baits from before. We put out the 12/0, 9/0, and 6/0 Wide around sundown baited with bonita in preparation for a big toothy. Well...didn't get any big toothies, but we had an alright night I guess.

Mike was first with a run on his 6/0. Mike set into this fish and his reel exploded off of his rod. Looks like the reel frame broke off...a little MacGyver by David and his reel was good to go...

Mike sure is a crazy one! He ended up fighting this fish for about 15 minutes and beached this nice 200+ pound Jewfish (ahem' Goliath Grouper)...some pictures were taken and he was quickly released...

All fish were caught on either jacks or bonita tenderloins. 20/0 circles hooked most of these fish right in the corner of the mouth and were simple to get out. Total of 7 jewfish were landed and released totalling 2000 pounds to our best estimate (50, 200, 250, 300, 300, 450, 500). All fish were brought up to the surfline for a few pictures and were revived if needed and swam away stronger than coming into the beach. No sharks except for a N*rse shark Jeff caught (minus points). Seems like the Goliaths have moved in to the sharkin' grounds here...good fishing with you Mike, I look forward to finding a shark with ya' this week while you are in town.

weizen

Re: Now this is what I call catch and release - 2,000 pounds of it.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »

Holy Crap!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:37:18 PM »

EXCERPT - Some fishing from Texas.

Mike sure is a crazy one! He ended up fighting this fish for about 15 minutes and beached this nice 200+ pound Jewfish (ahem' Goliath Grouper)...some pictures were taken and he was quickly released...

what a hog.  but how do you quickly release a 200+ fish beached like a whale? from the looks of the photos and different angles and poses, i'm sure that fish was out of the water for more than just a few minutes.  thats alot of weight on its internal organs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:09:37 PM »

what a hog.  but how do you quickly release a 200+ fish beached like a whale? from the looks of the photos and different angles and poses, i'm sure that fish was out of the water for more than just a few minutes.  thats alot of weight on its internal organs.

My thoughts exactly. I think you can see some of the internal organs in the second picture.