Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish kills spear-fishing diver  (Read 2161 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Fish kills spear-fishing diver
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:00:23 AM »

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Florida diver shot a large grouper with a spear gun then apparently drowned when the fish sped into a hole, entangling the man in the line attached to the spear, investigators said Monday.

The 42-year-old man, whose name was withheld, was free-diving in about 25 feet of water off the lower Florida Keys Saturday and speared a Goliath Grouper, Monroe County Sheriff's Detective Mark Coleman said.

"It looks like the fish wrapped the line attached to the spear around the victim's wrist. The fish then went into a hole in a coral rock, effectively pinning the man to the bottom of the ocean," Coleman said in a news release.

Police divers found the speared fish tightly wedged into the hole, with the man's body still tangled in the line, a sheriff's spokeswoman said.

Goliath Grouper are the largest members of the sea bass family and can weigh hundreds of pounds.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:04:09 AM by Nina »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Fish kills spear-fishing diver
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:40:10 AM »

Fishing is supposed to be relaxing, unfortunate accident.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 11:45:59 AM »

Not a fan of that spear-fishing stuff, especially for those big slow growing fishes that are important for reef health and future big fish stocks.  Still, an unfortunate incident.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 04:15:05 PM »

Thats why you always carry a diving knife!!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »

I've been told by out-of-town divers that it's hard to even buy a spear/harpoon around Vancouver-area dive shops don't approve/don't carry the product .
All to the good I'd say.

Too bad about the dead man but as mentioned WTH was his knife/knives?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:43:52 PM »

Kind of remind me of Steve Irwin incident.  Don't fool around with those monsters.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:39:04 PM »

I spear fish its pretty sweet. You guys sholdnt diss it before you understand it.  Takes more skill than fishing around here(bottom fish) . Not enough fish species to keep it interesting though. I only spearfishing when free diving not when scuba diving and i use a sling always leave the gun at home. Got some good sized greenling and rockfish its more selective and eat what you catch. First time i went out i hit the first thing i saw after that i barely took anything mostly just free dived. Doesnt compare to fishing though not close.