Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First batch of eggs  (Read 4266 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
First batch of eggs
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »

Did up my first batch of eggs today...used pautzkes fire cure..and a secret ingredient..Did up a jar of single sockeye eggs and one with skeins, which i doubt ill use but wanted some anyways...got some other recipes but got to find the ingredient i need....

So, anyways, I'm doing these up in Roe sacks for later this year, Am not that quick at them yet though I did start to pick up the speed after a few. Used my spawnee..man does that make it easier too..Put some different colored balls in for floats on some..Ended up doing about 35 bags, divided them up into bags of 5 each and got them in the "bait" freezer...

I'll tell you this..my hats off to you gut guys...this sheeit is messy as hell...Luckily i did mine in my warehouse on a big motorcycle engine crate..( hope the guy picking it up doesn't mind )..My wife looked in once, shook her head and walked out....I remembered pretty quick why I like fly tying so00000 much better...but i gotta admit, something about it sure gets me pumped up to get out fishing... ;)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: First batch of eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:36:57 PM »

but i gotta admit, something about it sure gets me pumped up to get out fishing... ;)
Cuz you know its gonna work. If your doin' single eggs i normally tie very small sacs (3-5 eggs) but i use chum. However nice and simple roebags are when your on the river, i still prefer a big chunk of boraxed roe.

goinfishin

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »

when you put the chunk of roe on the hook do you just slip it through the loop (for an egg loop) ? it doesn't seem that this would hold it on very tight unless you stick the hook through it too?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:46:32 PM »

Roe Loop holds it fine. But one thing i learned this steelhead season. Change your bait often. You can walk down to this new piece, walk through fishing it hard not a sniff. First cast with new bait gets a fish. Had it happen a few times this year.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:05:23 PM »

in my steelhead days....I often found washed out roe bags were the ticket....often prepared single eggs white...and fished them that way...a single egg on a #16 Lazersharp...under a float...sometimes was the ticket.......;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:09:18 PM »

Roe Loop holds it fine. But one thing i learned this steelhead season. Change your bait often. You can walk down to this new piece, walk through fishing it hard not a sniff. First cast with new bait gets a fish. Had it happen a few times this year.
Agreed, also try some Roe sacks, Chris and I had some really good luck with them as well.  They last longer, and in such a nice tight round ball, the look rather attractive to the fish I would imagine!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:24:50 PM »

Thats right. More for the mile. I hate puting globs of roe on the line all the time, and just put my faith in roe sacks.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:37:27 PM »

I once had a guide tell me that we should change bait every 6 casts. It's a royal pain in the butt to be changing roe every few minutes but we sure caught alot of chinooks that day  :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

Here's a question for you bait experts.  When doing roe bags - can you use procured roe or is it better to use single eggs?  I know you can use procured roe by itself, but I find it to be very messy.  I imagine that roe by itself may work better,  but roe in the bag will last longer and be less messy.  Single eggs don't seem to attract fish as much as the procured stuff - but then again, I have very little experience with this... ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:16:38 PM »

You can do either ways.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 11:51:22 AM »

I know you can use procured roe by itself, but I find it to be very messy. 

LOL... you fly guys crack me up.   

James

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »

With out having to start another thread , I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a stupid question .....

How do you tie roe bags ?

I have fished with roe before , but I always just used a big glob of boraxed chum roe .

So what do I need to make roe bags , how many in each , cured ?

Sorry for the newbie question  :-[

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 01:08:42 PM »

With out having to start another thread , I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a stupid question .....

I have fished with roe before , but I always just used a big glob of boraxed chum roe .

So what do I need to make roe bags , how many in each , cured ?

Ill tell you what i did, I got a spawnee. it's a machine that is simple to use and quick and less messy then the box ones...costs about $20. You roll out the sack material, put the eggs in, clamp it down and tie off and cut...pretty cool.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »

Another vote for the Spawnee. As to the number of eggs in the roe bag, it depends on the size of eggs you are using. I usually use 4-5 eggs.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »

sewing thread or spider wire.