Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why the closure?  (Read 3525 times)

nosey

Why the closure?
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:42:55 AM »

Does anybody know why the fisheries closed the river to salmon fishing from above the Harrison to the Hope bridge? There are lots of good areas to bar fish in that stretch of  water and there are lots of springs still going through. Has this got anything to do with the lack of compliance to the request to avoid using methods that target sockeye during the Stuart River run earlier this year up on that end of the river? I haven't saw the downstream fishing boundary sign yet is it above Peg Leg or below it?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Why the closure?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:07:41 PM »

I think it has to do with protecting the interior coho run.

Nostro

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 02:38:01 PM »

Then why are the FN allowed to continue to net? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Never look a fish in the eye.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 02:46:04 PM »

Then why are the FN allowed to continue to net? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

That's only a question that can only be answered by DFO and I'm not sure that they can ! ;D

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »

Do you remember the court case that the F/N brought agains't the sports fishing anglers to get them off the bars?

You remember the sports anglers won that case.

You would not think that DFO and the F/N struck a deal to get you off the river that is extremely close to the areas the court case was about? ::)

Naw, DFO would never do that to you.

By the way, you were fishing this area for pinks last year same places and times?

So think that you have been set up?  :o

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »

IMHO DFO has been politicaly castrated, and is as as much use as a cut cat, and about as lazy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 03:29:26 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

nosey

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 03:56:01 PM »

The  Thompson coho are coming through below the Harrison too why aren't they protected down there? I don't believe the natives care about the sporties right now as they are through fishing anyhow. I do think it may be due to the amount of people bbing in the upper river when the fisheries had asked that sports anglers refrain from using methods that target sockeyes, this area has never been singled out before as an area to specifically close when the rest of the river is open so why now? I know the fisheries say they were happy with the general level of compliance to there request but I also know that you could see people bottom bouncing on every bar up that way on every day of the Stuart voluntary closure, I really can't believe that all these people were just the good bottom bouncers that can target the springs while avoiding the sockeye.  :). If there is a specific reason for the this area to be closed while the lower river remains open, we should be made aware of it so we can avoid the whole river being closed in the future,

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »

My guess would be that the bulk of the springs that are going above the Harrison river have done so (this is not to say there are a few streams that get later runs above the Harrison). that being said, there is nothing above the Harrison that DFO would like you to target (I.E, sockey,steelhead and those Thompson Ho's) except Sturgeon at this time, most likley till October when they will open it up for Chum and alow bait for the Jack Springs.
And of coarse with so much less river open alot easeir to police from the IDIOTS that still think selective fishing means bottom bouncing for springs (please no comments, resoning or lame excuses for said methode).
The above comments are only my thoughts and have no scientific research, and these thought do not repersent the oppinions of anyone else other than myself.

Fred....

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

I do think it may be due to the amount of people bbing in the upper river when the fisheries had asked that sports anglers refrain from using methods that target sockeyes, this area has never been singled out before as an area to specifically close when the rest of the river is open so why now?

Last year it was open and the Thompson coho were coming through?

You really think this was to help the thompson fish? ::)

oldtimehockey

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 08:25:51 PM »

If the Fraser is closed above Harrison bridge to protect the Thompson run coho. then why is the Thompson still open season for Sockeye retention?
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
-Greg Norman

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 10:34:16 PM »

Thompson Coho are starting to pass by the lower Fraser in better numbers, They have been there for a few weeks as posted by the people catching them as by catch when fishing for Sockeye, I would think that by the time they start to show up near the T, that the sockeye will be closing in that region as well,
Again this is just a guess, and logical reasoning is better left to the political minds of the DFO.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 10:43:11 PM »

I think they let the one area below Jesperson open so that the guides can cash in their cookies there, bar fishing for springs. Then let the FN cast in their drift nets for whatever, without anyone around seeing what they haul in. DFO plays the daily favorites again, and the rest of us don't have much say it appears. :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 01:20:38 AM »

DFO want to protect interior coho.  And there is NO fishing method that would only catch 1 specie of fish without any other by catch. And doesn't want to close the whole Fraser fishery down (big lost to Fraser recreational fishery) The alternative may be to limit access area.  Less area to cover for enforcement.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:47 AM »

DFO want to protect interior coho.  And there is NO fishing method that would only catch 1 specie of fish without any other by catch. And doesn't want to close the whole Fraser fishery down (big lost to Fraser recreational fishery) The alternative may be to limit access area.  Less area to cover for enforcement.

Explain why it was open last year and not a problem?

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 09:55:21 AM »

Explain why it was open last year and not a problem?

Most likely left open last year due to the volume of pinks around vs no pinks this year. Just be glad DFO is still  allowing chinook fishing oppurtunities below the closure in the main stem Fraser. They did not do this in the begining of the "Thompson coho crisis".