Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hello!! and info!  (Read 2775 times)

small_fish

• Hi!
Hello!! and info!
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »

Hey I'm new to the board.. great site! My name is Mike
Anyway after school today me and my buddy took the bus to como lake, we got there around 11 cause classes were short.  :)
We stayed for about 2 hours then left we didn't catch anything just a couple of nibbles. We guessed the lakes in the lower mainland haven't stocked for fall, but we kind of already knew that. As we were walking out we saw a couple of middle age men fishing, I dont think they caught anything. But is there not a age restriction there because we got asked if we were 16 or younger many times at como lake. Not successfull today for any trout, but i changed my line and i think its to thick will that effective the fish bitting if its to thick. Its a salmon fishing line nice and strong please get back to me, if you know anything about this or the age restriction!
Thanks, Bye

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Hello!! and info!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

There is an age restriction at Como Lake; under 16 years and 65 and over.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:52:31 PM »

Ya FA is right there is the age restriction,i live close to como lake and i often find people fishing there who shouldnt be,mike if you want some real fun at como lake try fishing for the carp that inhabit the lake,this time of year is the best ,they average around 5lbs but can get much bigger,i take my son there on a regular basis and do pretty well for them.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 07:51:44 AM »

I did'nt even know there was carp in that lake! Well me and my buddy just started fishing and dont think we have the right equiment
for carp or trout!... If you will like to help me out that would be great searun!, because we really really need it!
anyways im out to school thanks

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »

There are still some trout there but it is pretty slow this time of year ,the best time would be early in the morning or later in the evening,the trout can be caught on light tackle IE small spinning rod with 6lb mainline and small trout hooks with orange or green power bait either fished on the bottom or with a float,for the carp the best time for them is about the last hour of the day ,this time of year these fish can be found very close to shore,try float fishing for them using doe balls made out of corn meal or nibblets corn and bread,in the last couple of trips with my son he has hooked four nice carp all around 5lbs,these fish were hooked maybe 15 ft from shore,there are also catfish in the lake ,the best time to catch them is also in the evening ,try fishing with worms on the bottom,good luck and happy fishing.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:35:54 PM »

alright!!! thank you very much that was very helpfull! and also one last thing for carp do i use the same set up as the trout and the hooks the smallest size possible? I think me and my friend will head up there sunday to see what we can get going! im off to soccer thanks alot!! very helpfull of you!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:42:02 PM »

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »

thanks everyone.. but i think when we go sunday we will just try for trout, but if were not lucky the following week we will try carp..
Really? trout fishing at como lake is slow now.. they say they will stock for fall so i will be checking the sites lower mainland trout stocking? and my friend has a cheap rod but its a spinning rod it says its for wallleye will that still work for him?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 04:19:16 PM »

I've sent out an email for you earlier today asking the hatchery when the next stockings might be. I'll provide an answer when emails come in. :)

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »

Thank you very much Rodney! i hope they stock them soon!  :P :)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 11:54:44 PM »

Hey Sf make sure to give us a report when you get back on sunday,who knows my son and i might even be there sunday evening.

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 08:03:02 PM »

Hey searun tommorow after my game me and my dad are going to buy some fishing equiment for me.. What do you reccomend buying for como lake I need to buy some trout hooks. What size and colour should i get?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 01:48:36 AM »

The hatchery answered today. Water temperature is the key factor at this moment, it is too warm to be doing any stocking. The earliest for new stockings would be late September.

Re: Fishing gear for trout.

Rod: Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum spinning rods. The brand doesn't matter so much, but the length and strength do. Look for 2-6lb test range ones. 6 feet+ is the ideal length. The longer ones have better control on float fishing, reducing the amount of line laying on the surface.

Reel: Shimano 1000 spinning reels. A cheap 30 dollar FX1000 will do, but spend a bit more if you wish to use it for several seasons.

Hooks: Size 4 to 6 steelhead hooks. Any bigger would be hard to hook the fish. Any smaller would be hard to get the hook out of the fish.

Line: 4lb test is ideal.

More info:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/0501_02.html
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2005/0605_03.html

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 06:39:18 PM »

Thanks rodney im going to go buy some of those things hopefully next week if my dad takes me! then hopefully late september after they stock the lakes i will be heading out there :) !!!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 11:01:46 PM »

sr17 are you heading to the lake tommorow?