Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sins of Sockeye fishery  (Read 8068 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: sins of Sockeye fishery
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »

It's harder to teach an "old poacher" how to respect fish. They are probably the worst offenders out there. I sneek up behind them when there poachen and give them the old "hot wader" by peeing down there back when the try to bonk the fish. :o
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

goblin59

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 05:16:57 PM »

It's over for another year gang.... none of it is anything we don't see year in and year out!! Time to start thinking about Coho season.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 10:26:56 PM »

Well 75% of the people that were fishing for socs are done fishing for the year. Thank goodness for that.

I get my boat in 2.5 weeks and can fish anywhere I want  ;D No crowds for me after that. When it rains I will be covered. When its cold I have a heater.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 07:28:01 PM »

This must be a record for recreational harvest of Sockeyes this year.  Sept. 8, 2006 News release by The Pacific Salmon Commission indicated we took out 90,000 Sockeyes  :o
Enjoy your catches!!!

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »

This must be a record for recreational harvest of Sockeyes this year.  Sept. 8, 2006 News release by The Pacific Salmon Commission indicated we took out 90,000 Sockeyes  :o
Enjoy your catches!!!

Remember this is an estimate and open to question.

The commercial catch was 4 million plus.

speycaster

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »

90,0012 caught,they did not count my sockeye.How in he$$ do they know how many sockeye were caught ,do they use a wiji board or maybe they visit a fortune teller with crystal ball. ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 08:38:15 PM »

They seem to do surveys at some bars and then I guess make the guestimate equation. I hold up my fish whenever someone flies by as well so they can count them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

weizen

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »

They seem to do surveys at some bars and then I guess make the guestimate equation. I hold up my fish whenever someone flies by as well so they can count them.

I was tempted to moon them when they flew over...but never got enough people on my bar to go along.......now that would have been fun!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 09:46:57 PM »

They use a formula that uses the results from the creel survey and the overflight information from aircraft. Of course the survey crews only rely on the honesty of people giving them the information but of course fishers always tell the truth don't they. ;D ;D

Hard to say the correct number of sockeye that each sectors takes but I think the recreational sector will come in way higher than the figure posted on this thread. I partly base that on the large number some members were posting about complete with pictures as it seemed regular vistors to the river throughout the openings were piling up some good numbers. I believe the numbers posted on a thread by a few of our members was around 300 sockeye taken along with 80 springs. You combine that with the number of people out this season it will most likely be the most sockeye harvested in the Fraser River by the recreational people

However if the figure even reached 150,000 fish or more for the recreational sector it is a drop in the bucket for all the sockeye taken by all 4 sectors, recreational, First Nation, commercial and test fisheries but of course there is other concerns more controversial than the numbers of sockeye taken. Of course these concerns have been debated the last month or more. ;D

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 09:56:21 PM »

I think 90,000 is on the low side.  Lets throw some numbers around.  Assuming we had an average daily vehicle count of 80 with 2 fisher per vehicle.  We have about 20 fishable bars(boat and drive to).  We were given 35 Days at the Sockeyes.  My guess a success harvest rate of 70%.  156,800 Sockeyes were killed by my calculations. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 10:14:58 PM »

I think 90,000 is on the low side.  Lets throw some numbers around.  Assuming we had an average daily vehicle count of 80 with 2 fisher per vehicle.  We have about 20 fishable bars(boat and drive to).  We were given 35 Days at the Sockeyes.  My guess a success harvest rate of 70%.  156,800 Sockeyes were killed by my calculations. ::)
My estimate is 200,000 pieces.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 12:11:55 AM »

You guys forget that during the time when the nets were all over the river, many people went home skunked. To assume too high a catch success % may not be attainable during the nets season. Only towards the last 2 weeks, fishing became more consistent.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 12:20:51 AM »

No matter what the final figure is or how it was arrived at, it is still a small percentage compared to other user groups.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 12:24:10 AM »

I was tempted to moon them when they flew over...but never got enough people on my bar to go along.......now that would have been fun!
Reminds me of a funny story. Im campin on an island and my uncle knows and flys for coast guard so he drops by on his way down and  hovers right in front of us not far away.  We all drop shorts to ankles and give him a nice moon and he rotates the helicopter and shows that hes got a bunch of elderly passengers! hahaha they both groups were shocked we had a good laugh

weizen

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »

Reminds me of a funny story. Im campin on an island and my uncle knows and flys for coast guard so he drops by on his way down and  hovers right in front of us not far away.  We all drop shorts to ankles and give him a nice moon and he rotates the helicopter and shows that hes got a bunch of elderly passengers! hahaha they both groups were shocked we had a good laugh

LOL,  Thats a good one!