Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing a mountain stream  (Read 765 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
fly fishing a mountain stream
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:23:42 PM »

Well decided that it's too crazy to attempt a border crossing this weekend so went out today exploring a few spots up off the middle fork of the nooksack that I've heard about...Found a kickin little lake about 5 miles up with small cutties in it but didn't bring any float or boat so marked it down for another time...
Headed to our second spot and after some searching came to the bridge and the creek..pretty major rocks and relatively steep but some nice pools...So I'm looking at this and thinking there is no way there are any fish in there...Decide to give it a shot and took my case of small 12-14 dry flys and hiked up to the first nice pool....toss it in...bang, some little trout hits it...surprise the hell out of me...So I immediately notice they are in the riffles and toss the Adams back in and swing it into the riffle...BANG...got this one...a nice 9 inch...I'm not sure what kind of trout..not a cutty...lines and spots on the side...I swear they looked like salmon smolts...Anyways, spent an hour an a half hiking up into some beautiful pools and nearly every cast got a bump...some were tiny little 4-5" and it dawned on me i could use a 7' 2wt fly rod for this kind of fishing...

So no huge salmon or anything but one of the more relaxing and adventurous day's I've had in awhile..will be doing this more often when nothing else is shaking..