Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could we??  (Read 3030 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Could we??
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:37:21 PM »

Is it possible to catch sockeye any other way than to f-word in the Fraser River?  I know bar fishing is one but what about for those of us who don't have access  or know enough about bar fishing.  This is a serious question. ???  If I was to float fissh in slower waater would it be effective?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Could we??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:13 PM »

Short answer is yes but not on a consistent basis. You can catch them barfishing, casting spinners and flies (although the ethical faction will claim that they are flossed)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 12:17:35 AM »

Sockeye will activily chase down minnow patterns if you fly fish, or you can drift krill. Your success will not be as good as flossing though.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 06:40:23 AM »

When I first got introduced to this meat fishery I fished with a 2-3 foot leader, some pencil lead and a dink float, ala conventional river fishing. I did manage to take home one fish. Then the following year I went to the river again to try my luck and noticed nobody had any floats on. I couldn't figure out what was going on till a 10 year old little boy was hooking fish left right and center right beside me. I asked him 'what are you using?' Just like any newbie would do. His dad explained the 'technique' to me and a Fraser Flosser was born. I have never used this technique on other rivers as I believe there is a time and a place for sport fishing and the Fraser is not one of them.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 04:42:20 PM »

Your success will not be as good as flossing though.

Fishing often means a day without success and no angler should be surprised by a day being skunked. Some have chosen a method of flossing the line though the fishes mouth to better their odds, but IMO, this has created some very serious issues for sport angling.

It's each persons' choice on what they want to do, but I hope people do consider both avenues fully and myself, I hope one does not simply go for 'easier is better' choice. As in most things, easier is not often best/right, free is never really free, and shortcuts often lead through dangerous waters.

With the river fairly clean right now, it's a prime time to experiment within the boundary of getting the fish to bite for a more effective way to get into some sockeye. Krill with a small spin glo or some other small offering may work very well. I bet one could short float them as well now in the clean water with small roe, wool or krill. I cant see why it would be different than the Vedder where sometimes you can do very well on them as long as you use a smaller presentation (small roe, hook, lighter leader line and a very sensitive float).
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 05:24:03 PM »

Recently after some charters I've been expeimenting with some Jigs at creek/river mouths, so far I've be unsucessful, I'll try back bouncing some small plugs and spinners over the next few days and I'll post any positive results.

Can't wait for Coho season ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:45:59 PM »

Why weep ? There was nothing in the article which states that the sockeyes were flossed.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:29:28 PM »

Weep because no one tries those techniques here in some of our lakes that have runs through them. Or you don't hear about it. They have been catching sockeye down there since as the article says years ago and not many people try places where the sox show up. Granted, sockeye where always closed to keep, so no one would try. I saw them on the fish finder in Birkenhead and Chilliwack and tried for them. What about Harrison and some others I won't mention.If they had allowed angling for sox like lake Washington etc. Who knows were flossing would be today?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?