Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to swing a fly, Forgoten technique to set the hook  (Read 4359 times)

mrking

How to swing a fly, Forgoten technique to set the hook
« on: August 27, 2006, 05:26:50 PM »

I've been swinging a fly at a local river the last few days and have had issues with setting the hook. Bumps, taps and hits mostly stay that way.

Last night I was looking through an older fly fishing book I had to review what I might be doing wrong.

One of the techniques it shows is after you have cast and mend your line, make sure you have a loop saging between the finger holding the fly line and the reel. When you feel the hit, let go of the line and pull the rod toward shore to set the hook. What this does, according to the book, is give a bit of slack line to the fish so it can turn after it grabs the fly, then after the fish turns the hook gets set.

Tried it today and pulled in a nice 6-7" cutty and a beautiful 21" rainbow. Technique worked great for me. Will have to try it on the lake as well.

Note to self: Always bring camera as you never know.

Just thought I'd pass along this liitle bit of info for those that might be missing the fish when setting the hook.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:59:19 AM by mrking »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: How to swing a fly, Forgoten technique to set the hook
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:17:58 PM »

Interesting tip.  Thanks MRK!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 12:37:03 PM »

Ya, interesting.  If its working for you, thats great.  I find as long as I keep my line under control I dont really have many problems with missed hits, usually when i miss hits its when I DO have some play in my line.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:55:11 PM »

I usually miss the strike if I've allowed some slack into the line towards the end of the drift or have allowed my rod tip to get to high.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

WadeOn

• WadeOn
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:40:23 AM »

You need to keep the end of your fly line straight as possible to detect the slightest of takes. With slack line you miss them. When czech nymph fishing you fish with about 2 foot of fly line out of the rod tip and about a 5-8ft leader read more here on czech nymphing www.wadeon.com

Steve
At the Waters Edge ! Fly Fishing Denmark
Forum, Photos, Articles and more
www.wadeon.com

mrking

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:06:06 AM »

The slackis only between the finger holding the line and the reel. Line is always tight from fly to rod and yes the rod tip is pointed to the fly to the fly. I get the impression people are confused by the wording in my post.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:24:34 PM »

I wasn't. I got exactly what you meant and I hope to try this out when I get out this year. Thanks for the info. As this will be my first year for fly fishing for salmon I will be asking a few questions through out the season. There sure seems to be a wealth of info on this forum.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »

There sure seems to be a wealth of info on this forum.

Flattery will get you everywhere  ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »

Come to think of it that sometimes happens when I'm retreiving slowly,finger over finger... i'll sometimes have a slight bit of slack between my fingers (not my fingers and the reel)...never noticed whether or not it accounted for more hookups but I will pay more attention to it now!