Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to me line, anyone tried it?  (Read 2654 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
New to me line, anyone tried it?
« on: August 27, 2006, 02:57:59 PM »

So I was at the shop last night, and was put on to this line that has a rather thin diameter for it's rating.  I was told that it is really strong and that there have been no complaints about the line yet.  The line is called Veder.  The package says that it is -super soft, has a fine diameter and low stretch.  It is also pretty cheap compared to Ultra Green.  So I picked up a 330yd spool of 10 lb test for $9.19 plus tax.  The diameter of the 10 lb test is smaller than Maxima's 8 lb test.  I am a bit skeptical, but I will give it a try. ;)  Has anyone else out there tried this line yet? :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:04:40 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: New to me line, anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »

my bros are using that brand of line rite now and seem to like it, where's i still am using the ANDE line that i have on my mini spool and the price is rite for the a ok quaility stuff, when i run out of ANDE line if the bros still have some i'll have to try it other wise the bulk ANDE is the way to go same manufacture as Maxima but half the price i useally pay $12 for 660yard rolls of 20# a liltte cheaper on liter line rating. ;)

redside1

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 06:11:20 PM »

you have to watch "thin" lines when using them for mainline. The smaller the diameter the less likely they are to take a beating on our rocky streams. Maxima is the most dependable line in our market and there is a reason why all the other line makers sell oversized line like Ande, Trilene Big Game and Mustad Pro Plus. MAixma 20lb breaks at 27lb on a straight pull. Big Steel, you try tying the Ultra Green 8lb to the 10lb Veder and see which breaks first on a straight pull. If you plan on using it for leader, unless the fish are real spooky, why would you fish thin diameter? Squeeze split shot or pencil lead on it and it will be more likely to damage. Can't wait to see how this line works for you. 

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 06:27:19 PM »

you have to watch "thin" lines when using them for mainline. The smaller the diameter the less likely they are to take a beating on our rocky streams. Maxima is the most dependable line in our market and there is a reason why all the other line makers sell oversized line like Ande, Trilene Big Game and Mustad Pro Plus. MAixma 20lb breaks at 27lb on a straight pull. Big Steel, you try tying the Ultra Green 8lb to the 10lb Veder and see which breaks first on a straight pull. If you plan on using it for leader, unless the fish are real spooky, why would you fish thin diameter? Squeeze split shot or pencil lead on it and it will be more likely to damage. Can't wait to see how this line works for you. 
I will only be using it for leader line.  If this is a strong ten lb test, then it would sure as a good replacement for 8 lb test in clear water.  A littlke bit more assurance on the line when hooked into a good fish.  Mind you, I haven't really had one snap my leader for a while now, so I guess that I am just curious to see how it works.  Might be good for those that have a problem with leader breakage!!  You know who you are!!! ;D ;D ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »

you have to watch "thin" lines when using them for mainline. The smaller the diameter the less likely they are to take a beating on our rocky streams.
True enough.

......there is a reason why all the other line makers sell over sized line like Ande, Trilene Big Game and Mustad Pro Plus.
Abject nonsense!
Maxima is the one that under rates it's lines-they call a 20# line '15#' so people will think it's a strong line.
However the simple truth is that a line that breaks @ 20# is a 20# class line no matter what marketing gimmick the manufacturer uses.

I'm not disputing the quality of Maxima's product but it is widely misrepresented.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 07:29:05 PM »

For the price Trilene is as good as any Maxima.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 07:29:29 PM »

Dave, Stick to what you like and know another thing you get what you pay for
Oh I will, just thought that for the price it would be worth checking out.  If it is crap, then back to what I know works! ;)   

PS The lightest this Veder line comes in is 10 lb test!! :)

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:39:28 AM »

Thinner diameter line is much more efficient for the Fraser this time of the year. It casts farther and retrieves quicker.

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »

I found Pline to be great line picked up some or leadermaterial while bb.  It has great knot strength and wearability