Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: recipe's for roe  (Read 2639 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
recipe's for roe
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:28 PM »

just trying to see how many ways roe can be cured as I'm still new to the whole curing thing tired of buying it when i have roe to cure any help who be great  :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: recipe's for roe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »

Buy yourself 2 boxes of Borax from safeway, 1 box Rock Salt, and a few colours of ProCure.

I borax most of my roe. If you have a bunch of skeins (5+), what i do is get a bucket, and pour in a bunch of borax. After drying the roe for a few hours (depending on humidity). Dry the roe till it is slightly sticky to touch. Then toss each skein into the bucket (individually) and shake it around gently. Work the borax into the folds of each skein. Remove the skein and place it in a small ziplock bag. Put in a little bit more fresh borax and dust the entire skein. then remove air and seal. Continue with the next skein.

If you want to add colour, add 1-3 table spoons of ProCure before putting the skeins in the borax. Mix well in the bucked. I like to add fresh garlic for coho season. Seems to be a killer scent.

If you get a hold of single eggs create a saturated solution with the rock salt (pour in rock salt untill it wont dissolve any more). Add a table spoon of ProCure if you want to change the colour.

Pretty much all you need to cure roe.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:44:26 PM »

There are as many ways to cure roe as there are fish in the sea. (maybe not that much  ;D) The simplest method is borax and Pro Cure. I just cure a batch of sockeye roe last weekend with Pro Cure. Awesome looking roe.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:41:18 PM »

I just dry the skeins, on paper towel until stickey then sprinkle procure on them and put in ziploc bag. Put them in the fridge for upto 3 moths.)better fresh) if not them put in frezzer. Fresh is definitally more killer.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:19:12 AM »

I just got a book call egg cures, it's an amato production. I found if you go to amazon.com they have them used but like new for really cheap. Book arrived in a couple days and has some excellent cures in it.....Quite a few are borax, suger, salt and jello for dye...pretty cool stuff, just ordered some anise oil for my batch ;)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »

Are ProCure and borax both sold at safeway?
Thanks for the steps.
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 03:07:33 PM »

Procure are sold in tackle shops. Safeway and other grocery stores should carry Borax.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 10:35:10 PM »

Wow,some good looking roe ;) coho season is around the corner :)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 11:07:19 PM »

now that's some nice looking roe ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 11:58:25 AM »

I used to air dry all my roe before adding any powder (borax or dies like procure).  I have now taken to simply slicing the skien up and right into a jar with procure...the air drying adds too much time for me and doesnt change how the eggs soak up the die. 

I used to put quite a bit of procure on my eggs and let them sit for an hr or 2s...I burnt many batches like that (eggs get hard and knids crusty). Now use a relatively small ammount and let the eggs sit in their juices overnight.  once they have soaked up all the color required, I simple strain them, let them air dry til tackie, roll in borax, and seal in zip lock freezer bags...easy as pie!