Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hi i am a newbie for flyfishing  (Read 2993 times)

bruce

Hi i am a newbie for flyfishing
« on: August 25, 2006, 04:40:09 PM »

can somebody tell me what "tippet" is ?  I read it from a flyfishing book. thx

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Hi i am a newbie for flyfishing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »

can somebody tell me what "tippet" is ?  I read it from a flyfishing book. thx

Fancy name for "leader that attaches to your leader"  ;D 

Backing-flyline-leader-tippet-fly.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:54:32 PM »

A phrase coined by our American freinds. I think it came about as a result of factory made tapered leaders. As the end of your leader becomes shorter and shorter, as well as thicker in diameter eventually you need to attach a new end. So a new word was required to reference the new piece of leader.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Stone

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 10:13:29 PM »

A commercially available knotless tapered leader consists of a heavy butt section, a long tapered section, and finally a tip section that is thin level monofilament.  All of these sections of course are seamless in their transitions.  As you lose flies, or change flies, you keep cutting into the level tip section of the tapered leader; and this section gets progressively shorter.  The tip section, being the thinnest, is essential for spooky fish not to see the line attached to your fly.

I'm guessing that "tippet" probably was coined to refer to replenishing the tip section of this tapered leader.  Instead of tossing a perfectly good leader at nearly $5/ea, you buy a spool of tippet that allows you to use that leader over and over again saving money.  You also get to change the strength of your leader without changing leaders by changing the pound test tippet you use on the same leader...as long as the tapered section that you are tying into is larger in diameter than the tippet that you are using.