Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which line is best?  (Read 6219 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Which line is best?
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:50 PM »

Well searun and I are going to give fly fishing for coho a try this year and I was just wondering which fly line do you guys recommend for the veddar or the chehalis. I will be using a 9wt and he will be using an 8wt. I know that a 9wt may be overkill but I was worried about the springs and chum and searun is much better at flyfishing than me. Ant info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mrking

Re: Which line is best?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:27:20 PM »

Use the clear intermediate by either SA or Cortland.

Fishingbum

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »

RIO Outbound intermediate clear. Belly is 38 feet, floating running line.

Ian S

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:50:52 PM »

Don't worry about the 9wt. Trust me it is not overkill for Chum and just in the ball park for Springs.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:49:23 AM »

Id give the cortland a try though the clear lines may all have the same problem i experience with mine...   I use the SA int. clear, and its a pain.  It feels very "heavy" if that makes sense...and the memory is really poor.  Coils up like crazy.   

The Rio Clear int. tips are interesting too, might be worth a go.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »

I use the NEW rio versa tip on my 9wt. covers all fishing and all rivers, you may want to fish the chel. and need only a dry line and longer leader or intermidiate sink, (clear tip) or hit the Vedder and want something that sinks better...anyways that's what i got as my reel cost too much and i cant afford spools... ;)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:50:57 PM »

That is what we are thinking about. I had a look at the multi tip and the great thing is that it will cover everything. Just trying to get the cost of the line past my wife  ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mrking

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »

That is what we are thinking about. I had a look at the multi tip and the great thing is that it will cover everything. Just trying to get the cost of the line past my wife  ;D .

The SA multi tip basically replaces three different lines and the need for extra spools, IMO. What is the line cost these days? Still $150?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »

Rio multi tip is around $165 and comes with 5 different tips.

Stone

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 10:17:49 PM »

I have never had any problems with my Cortland clear sinking lines.  I use both the 444SL clear sink as well as the 444 Clear Camo, and both have been excellent in durability, casting characteristics, as well as low memory even in cool weather.

One thing to note is that I find the 444SL Clear Intermediate sinks faster...more at a Type II speed rather than a true intermediate.  The Clear Camo sinks slower and is closer to a true intermediate line.

I have tried the SA Stillwater clear sinking lines in the past but didn't like them due to their problem with cracking.  I have heard that SA has recently released a new Striper taper that might be worth trying.

mrking

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »

I have never had any problems with my Cortland clear sinking lines.  I use both the 444SL clear sink as well as the 444 Clear Camo, and both have been excellent in durability, casting characteristics, as well as low memory even in cool weather.

One thing to note is that I find the 444SL Clear Intermediate sinks faster...more at a Type II speed rather than a true intermediate.  The Clear Camo sinks slower and is closer to a true intermediate line.

I have tried the SA Stillwater clear sinking lines in the past but didn't like them due to their problem with cracking.  I have heard that SA has recently released a new Striper taper that might be worth trying.

I have had the SA Striper line for over two years now and like it alot. No cracks and the memory is not that bad. Seems normal to me, have to stretch it when I go out, but after that it seems ok to me.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 09:39:30 AM »

My favorite is the Airflow 40plus Extreme Distance Line

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »

Well I finally did it. I went out today and got the Rio multi tip system put on my fly reel today. I can't wait to go out to the flow and start catching some fish. Know I definatly need to take a mental health day from work  :-X :-X ;D ;D .

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:18:05 PM »

You wont regret it.  I have that on my Redington RS2 9/10 and it works wonders.  Started only last year and hooked pinks, coho and chum.  Make sure you've got lots of backing for those doggies.....

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 09:39:15 PM »

I definatly have lots of backing and I was practicing casting at work and is that line ever nice to cast. I might have to hit the stave(just to practice) and see what it is like in the outdoors as I was practicing in a big gym.