Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: when did you start fishing?  (Read 2592 times)

darmin

when did you start fishing?
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:55:59 AM »

I started fishing when I was 10 caught my first stealhead at 12 that was 1974 remember it well Christmas Day south Allouette river of course when I say started fishing thats when dad got me my own rod ;)     

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: when did you start fishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:24:40 AM »

started fishing age 4, my first fish was a 16" rainbow(vedder). Age 11 caught first steelhead(in the capilano), age 12 hooked 12 sockeye and 1 spring(one my own, on the fraser). Age 13 caught first tyee, and a 17lb coho(Chehalis)! Age 14 caught 15 trout in one day(thompson), and a sail fish in the Dominican 85lbs! All in all i think my fishing career is doing pretty well! Hopeing to hook a sencond steelhead this year! Right now i'm 15 years old and have had a pretty bad year so far! But i'm hopping it will improve tomorrow and next week, when i'll be at the fraser, and my favourite river in the world, the THOMPSON!! ;D
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »

Started when I was very young (can't remember exact age) catching shiners and flounders. My fondest memory was catching smelts with my parents, brothers and sisters.

Vancouver James

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »

I started fishing the Salmon River in Fort Langley when I was around 5 or 6, man that was fishing.
My uncle used to pick me up as I pretended to walk to school in the fall and off we would go to the Salmon,used to catch Jack Coho,Cuttys,Cohos etc,,,,,,,used to fill the potato sack with them............there used to be huge crawfish and we also caught flounder the size of a dinner plate.........not to mention the bullheads and other species!

VJ

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

I started fishing with my dad in 1970 ,mostly bar fishing for salmon ,cutties, and sturgeon,i have since expanded to float fishing and fly fishing in my float tube,over the years the sport fishery has left me with many great memories of days on the flow.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »

I started when I was 3-4 years old, so that woulds make 1976-1977.  Started in some small creeks in Nova Scotia getting nice sized 10-12" Brookies.  Then when I was a bit older, hitting the bigger rivers.  When tha Atlantic Salmon fishery went bad in the late 70's my Dad picked up and moved us to Manitoba.  Thus that started our Lake fishng Careers!!  I would also fish the Assinibione and Red rivers after school pretty much every day!!  Some of the lake fishing there was incredible at times and I have many fond memories of both Duck Mountain and Riding Mountain National Park!! ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

darmin

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 03:26:57 PM »

thanks guys thats some cool feedback 8)   thinking back is kind of humbling at least for me

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 04:43:16 PM »

I started fishing when I was 4. My Opa taught me to fish in Holland on the North Sea and in the canals. Mostly bar fishing but  in the canals for carp we would float fish.. In Holland you can practicly walk out your front door and the canal is right there. We would use bamboo rods in the canals and these huge 12 to 14 foot sea rods. In fact I still have all his old rods and reels. They are pretty neat to look at and they sure bring back great memmories of him.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Pat AV

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:24:07 PM »

Like gt my fellow dutchman,  Opa taught me how to fish. Caught my first bow when I was 5 trolling Loon Lake. Opa gave me the fish bug and taught me how to lake fish with trolling gear. Taught myself how to river fish with the help of many river side mentors and books / magazine articles. Hit my first steel at 14 from the Chehalis landed it then hooked another that broke me offf the next cast. Started fly fishing when I turned 20 an am still learning 10 years later. Fished ~ 200 days a year for the last 10 years(including after work trips) down to around 75-100 now, it is very hard to get used to (don't wanna grow up!)

Thats the breif version of Pat AV's fishing history
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

weizen

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »

When did you start fishing?

Answer:

NOT SOON ENOUGH!  All I can say is I'm jealous of the likes of Coho Cody, and The Roe Kid that grew up on the water!   Anyway, I'm starting to make up for lost time.

Ho whacker

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 10:52:09 PM »

I started to fish rockcod and rainbows whein i was 3. since ive kept a log book of every fish ive caut since i was 7 i can say im safely over the 1000 fish mark now at 18years.
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 12:40:41 AM »

i started when i was about 5 or 6 years old and my first fish ever was bullheads. The first few years I pretty much stuck to barfishing with my uncle and dad, my fishing buddies. Actually, they're my only fishing buddies but that's fine with me. I think I was about 9 years old when I caught my first salmon. I wish I could head out more often these days but it's all school and work once your at a certain age.