Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For this weekend's Fraser River anglers  (Read 1175 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
For this weekend's Fraser River anglers
« on: August 18, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »

DFO:

Hello all, just to let you know there will be licensed drift net fisheries in the Chilliwack area Thursday thru Sunday depending on the band.

Some of the bands are requesting to drift fish on weekdays rather than weekends because they are trying to reduce the potential for conflict with recreational anglers.

For further details, please see:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/firstnationsLF_e.htm

I received a couple other emails regarding few incidences of First Nation boats setting a drift net just above an anchored recreational fishing boat or close to the bank where recreational anglers are fishing. Then another colleague spent a bit of time and did some leg work for the following information:

I contacted Transport Canada regarding the safety concerns around ANYONE intentionally placing a moving obstruction upstream of anchored boats with the intent to impact on those boats. Notwithstanding the safety issue, I was ultimately referred to Glen Kostiuk, DFO, Chilliwack. Glen and I discussed the business of drift nets intentionally set above anchored boats and drift nets intentionally set in the way of anglers on the bars. He informed me that any of this kind of action is a POLICE ISSUE and Agassiz police should be contacted. Apparently, the Agassiz RCMP have a boat in the water and are recording and responding (hopefully) to all reported incidents of this nature. So ... if you have a problem (or, for that matter, if you had a problem), please contact the Agassiz RCMP at 604 796 2211 and file a report. The Agassiz office is not manned on a 24-7 basis,so if it is "off-hours", contact the Chilliwack RCMP at 604 792 4611 and they will dispatch. If everyone reports all occurrences of these kinds of action, we may see some solution.

FYI, most bands recognize that there is a conflict since two user groups are on the water at the same time, and they have made an effort to avoid any conflict. Unfortunately the odd boats wish to create a conflict, and it is up to you to walk away from these and dial the numbers above and file a report.