Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greating From Langara!!  (Read 1255 times)

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Greating From Langara!!
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:58:59 AM »

Finally i have some time to sit infront of the computer to type a few words...  Went out fishing by myself the other day.. sleep in til 10:30, breakfast then head on my first day of fly fishing this season..  Arrived at the spot around 11:45 just before the tide change... Picked out a nice point to start my drift. First cast, about 70ft, waited about 20 seconds or so for the fly to sink down to the zone.. first strip, tap, tap, set the hook and little head shake and gone... Said to myself, " what a great start.."  start striping the line again... tap, tap.... nothing.. keep striping, finally i see the fly is about 15 feet away, saw about 6-7 coho jack ranging from 10-15 inches keep chasing the fly. then all of a sudden, saw a big shadow under the boat comming to the fly, circle it twice and gone... the next couple cast same thing.. ITs time to change a new patten. This time, i tie on a little white needle fish patten with a zonker tail and little purple angle hair.. First cast, drifted over a little kelp patch.. all of a sudden the line tighten, up lift my rod.. Fish ON.  Fish dancing on the surface, take it out to my backing on one of the run.. finally landed a nice little coho about 8lb, and back to the water it goes.. First fish of the season with a fly!! couple more cast later, i hooked into one that strike so hard that i thought i gonna lost my rod. It grab and run right into the backing.. by the time i keep up to the reel, it shoot stright out of the water and wave me goodbye.. It been like this for about 3 hours.. In total, I hooked into 6 and landed 2 but if you let me count one of the jack too, then i hooked into 7 and landed 3.. Not a bad dayon the fly.   Gear of choices for that day is a sage RPLXi 896, pair with a Lamson ULA Froce 3.5, line is airflo DI8 saltwater line. Thats it for now, and pics will not be posted until i get home in mid sept.   Good luck fishing.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Greating From Langara!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:37:35 PM »

thanks for the update, looking forward to the pics :)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Derek Mcl

Re: Greating From Langara!!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:48:24 PM »

Awesome read!  That fly line sounds like it really gets down there in a hurry.  Is that called the depthfinder line?