Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Closing???  (Read 5803 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Closing???
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 06:11:36 PM »

Well I still like Nina's legs more then you :D

weizen

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 07:22:10 PM »

Rod,

Everything in that last post made perfect sence, what got my goat earlier was that you seemed to be comming down hard on those of us that enjoyed to celebrate our catch, and have fun during what opening we are given.  I'm one of those that just wait for the opening and go out when I can.  Don't bother myself with DFO critizizing, or pressuring for an opening.  When it's  there (the opening) I have as much fun as I can, when it's gone, I start to look forward to next year.  (And go for other fish in the fall).

Despide how my last post came across, I'm really enjoying your site since finding it last week, and I think you're doing a great job!

Cheers! ;D

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 07:23:53 PM by weizen »

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 09:20:11 PM »

No offence taken Rod.  Just saying what I heard from a store in Kamloops!  I can see your point, but I am not encouraging, I am being realistic!  We don't talk much about the guys who go out and harvest 4 coho a day though!  That gets to be quite a slaughter as well. 
Here is another question, and this was a comment from a DFO rep in loops!  Thompson Sockeye opening might bbe announced in Near Future, what are your thoughts?  Not trying to raise S*&^, just commenting!

Coastal

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 08:13:36 PM »

I'm mostly a lurker, but felt compelled to reply to this one.  Rod, based on your posts (especially the ones in this thread), I am STOKED that you are representing the sportsfishing community to DFO and in local groups and communities.  I don't think we could have chosen a better spokesman.  Congrats, and keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Coastal

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 10:00:31 PM »

Thanks Coastal. :)

Bigguy, regarding coho, that's a whole different ball game. The Southern BC coho salmon fishery is supplemented by hatchery productions. The fish are mostly produced for the three sectors to harvest, with mimimal impact on the recovering wild stocks. Take the Vedder River for example, even at a daily quota of 4 fish, there is usually a seasonal surplus of hatchery fish that are given to the First Nations. These are fish that are not meant to be used for further productions.

On the other hand, the Fraser River fishery in July and August targets a bulk of wild fish that is made up of hundreds of populations that are categorized by their own genetic makeups. When an angler catches a sockeye salmon this time of the year, it maybe from a strong population, but it may also be from a weak run. The more fish being taken out, escapement of the weak runs becomes smaller. While we enjoy what seemingly to be a fantastic harvest year, some of these weak runs will struggle in the meantime. This is the problem of having a fishery before the runs divert.

I can't tell you much about the Thompson River sockeyes, since it falls outside the region that I get the information on.

buck

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 01:14:22 PM »

Rodney, all very good points. Lets hope that some of the better anglers take some of what you said to heart.
Coho returns to the Vedder could be poor again this year due to ocean survival rates. Also this years return is coming off of a smaller release than in previous years. Lets hope that returns are higher than the 6500 fish that returned to the hatchery last year.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »

Good post Rodney. I couldnt agree more and Im glad you spoke your mind.

While I feel you yourself moderate this site in a neutral and fair fashion and treat all members the same regardless of how they fish, I take no offence nor do I believe you need to apologize for sharing your opinion and feelings as you did.

Personally, I think they are bang on when it comes to this issue and the only response to it could surround feelings and personal opinion as it's pretty hard to dispute otherwise.

Sure, we all have our opinions and we can accept our differences and walk away. Too bad that our resource and sport angling's image has no choice but to accept and try to survive whichever opinion each and every one of us decides to throw at it.

Let's not forget there's more to it. Sure, it's my opinion you shouldnt drive a truck through a side channel. One can have their opinion that says they can. It's too bad in the end for the small fish that get crushed and poisoned as they have no choice in the matter. Fulfilling one's ego or stubboness is the last thing on their mind as they go belly up.  :'(
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

fisher88

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 08:46:28 PM »

Heard that socs will be closed after the weekend!  Mad rush will be on if this is true!  Prob twice as many people at Peg and Scale this weekend!
back to the point though, is there any news on a closure soon??
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »

My guess is that with warmer weather coming and a meeting on Tuiesday I believe, it just may be closed by the weekend. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!