Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The annual hunt of Thompson rainbows, August 13th - 15th  (Read 3787 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
The annual hunt of Thompson rainbows, August 13th - 15th
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:40:27 AM »

Every summer, while most are caught up in the Fraser salmon hype, we choose to spend a bit of down time by heading to the Thompson River instead of elevating our blood pressure on the big flow. :) The Thompson River is more well known for its steelhead and salmon fisheries, but between May and December, it provides a rainbow trout fishery that many flyfishermen dream about. Despite of the threats of riverside train derailments, water usage by farms, pollution from mines and other industries, We are extremely blessed to still have a relatively clean natural river that holds a pretty healthy population of wild trout.

It's a catch and release fishery, well, at least that has always been our objective. Regulations allow anglers to retain two trout per day, but it seems to be a pity to kill two lovely trout up to 18 inches in length after a total of eight hours driving time. For Nina and I, who are still pretty new to flyfishing, it is a learning step that is full of challenges and surprises. The killing part can wait until next month when those silver ones arrive in the Vedder. ;)

After hearing Shane and Carlo's stories from the T in the past two months, I was eager to get out there and try it agian this year. Some of the photographs that they have taken from the last few outings have been amazing. We decided to meet up with them last weekend, to seek out some secrets and capture some of the action on film. ;D Carlo's plan was to go solo on Saturday by leaving early, and meet up with us later on that day. Shane had to work on Saturday, so his fishing did not start until Sunday. Nina and I took it easy, we left Richmond at 11:30am after a slow crawl out of the bed. ;D

Our first stop was lunch at Tim Horton's at the Whatcom Road exit, followed by a visit to Reaction Fly and Tackle, located convenient next to our lunch stop. ;) As usual, I wanted to pick out a selection of Thompson River flies so I would be well equipped. :) Luckily, Daryl was at the store, which means I could pick his brain apart on what I should be getting or doing on the flow. The store was awfully busy, most who came in were requesting a licence and a sockeye setup. Daryl and I talked about the dilemma of this trend. On one hand, it's welcoming business to any tacklestore, but at the same time no one can be sure whether this is good for the industry and sport in the long run.

After the shopping was done, we were off to Kamloops. Going to the Thompson/Okanagan is always a treat. I enjoy seeing the vegetation and climate changes as we leave the coastal mountain range. I love the interior dry heat as it is very similar to what I was used to back in Australia.

Last weekend was definitely rough. ;D We arrived in Kamloops to our accommodation for the weekend, A room at the Sandman Inn. ;D It was fully equipped with a kitchen, cable TV, SHOWER... Very rough indeed... ;D

After a quick early dinner, it was time to hit the flow. :)

Second part of Day One will come after I get some sleep. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: The annual hunt of Thompson rainbows, August 13th - 15th
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:20:10 PM »

Saturday August 12th (cont.)

At 7:00pm, we arrived at Juniper Beach, which is around 40 minutes west of Kamloops. Carlo's truck was already in the lot, he had been working his way up from Spences Bridge since that morning. :o The evening hours were still hot, but the cool breeze made it rather comfortable.

Last year we camped at Juniper Beach without realizing that trains run on both sides of the river on day and night. The first night was rather interesting, there wasn't much shut eyes going on in the tent. ::) This year, the hotel package was the only way to lure Nina along to the trip. ;)

We hiked to the river with our rods, to check out how the river was. After 30 minutes or so, Carlo made his way downstream and met up with us. He reported fair fishing throughout the day, with the odd large ones being caught. Our day by the river finished around dusk with only a couple of gentle taps at the end of the fly rods to show.

Saturday August 13th

Our second day started pretty late. ;) Early morning is simply not our thing. We woke up at 8:00am, took our time with the breakfast while watching Global's morning news hour. ;) We eventually reached the river at 10:30am. Our (late) morning stop was the Rock and River Rustic Retreat, where anglers can park and fish for $10/day. Although paying to fish is so rare and almost unacceptable in BC, I find this is a small price to pay to have my car parked at a secured camp where washrooms are available.

My day started out rather, wet. ::) As usual, we decided to leave the wading shoes at home and stick with sandals. ;) While Nina was casting away just upstream from me, I took a fast plunge just several steps out from the river bank. ::) Not knowing what had just happened, Nina turned and was surprised to see me sitting in the water. I attempted to stand up, only to find myself falling on the butt again. ;D Oh well, air temperature was already above 30C, a pair of wet pants was not going to ruin the day. ;)

We proceeded to work our way to several spots further upstream, where the water was slightly more turbulent. Because the Thompson is so grand, each run takes a few hours to cover properly. The runs are usually broken up into smaller runs. Finding these trout is often like steelheading, walking is part of the prerequisites.

After a couple of hours, with the odd misses, we were still fishless. It wasn't surprising, as this game was still very new to us, but it sure was frustrating after waving that stick constantly under the scorching sun.

Nina eventually went further upstream from me to check out a spot where she thought was promising. I stayed behind to cover a run that looked rather interesting to me. Ten minutes later, I heard a scream "FISH ON!" from 300+ meters above me. I looked up, only to see Nina hanging onto the bent fly rod by the edge of a deep run. Armed with my backpack, cameras and rod, I began sprinting and hopping from one round boulder to the next.

"Hurry!", she yelled again.

Hurry? I wasn't about to kill myself on the rocks!

Immediately after that thought crossed my mind, I tripped and took a tumble over some boulders. ::) Wanting to get a shot of this fish, I quickly got up again and carry on with the hopping. :P I reached her a minute or so later, panting and almost crawling. "Hurry!", she said again. ::) It was a beautiful rainbow trout, sitting just below the surface. Although it had been on the line for several minutes, it was still very energetic and a mistake could easily pop the fish off. Nina guided it towards me as I held the landing net by the water. It darted straight out as soon as it approached the net. Second try only resulted in the same reaction. Third try brought the fish straight into the mesh. ;)

Relieved and joyful, Nina was all smile after a few hours of hunting. I just couldn't believe that she landed the first fish of the day, on the fly! ::) >:( Nevertheless, it was fantastic to see. I brought the camera out, captured a couple of photos of the fish and Nina. :)

After releasing the fish, Nina said that fish went for the fly during the first drift and came back again on the second. She was sure that more were around and determined to find another one. I gave the tailout of that run a shot but came up empty. It was less than a dozen casts later, Nina was into yet another fish! :o This time it was a much smaller trout, which grabbed the fly as it was being stripped in.

Absolutely stunned and disgusted by my own performance, I was now very determined to find a fish. I decided that I should go with a strike indicator while nymphing, because Carlo has been successful with this technique this year. We decided to work our way back down the river so we could have our lunch at the camp. As I fished along each run, I was finally having some good hits with one good sized fish that was briefly connected. ::)

We eventually reached the campsite, it was time for lunch. I was still fishless. :-\

Part three will come tonight. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:57:15 PM by Rodney »

fishinmansam

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »

good job rodney. next time you should give martel a shot. never any preasure lots of room. lots of rainbows and salmon. salmon will take flies to as i found out last year when i hooked a chinook on a elk hair caddis. tight lines

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 08:58:38 PM »

Great report and some awesome shots in there as well.  I have to apologise now though, I found myself chuckling a bit to much as I was reading it.  I feel your pain though, I have gone down many a time as well!! ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to part 3!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:40:24 PM »

I'm going up there for the salmon and trout in a couple of weeks mabey i'll see u there i fish just above spences bridge some good runs in there with good sized fish!  I find nymphing to be the best way to hook up on the big boys! While nymphing last year i hooked a nice jack that had his way with me and my 6wt untill i got pissed off and just forced him in! I was surprised my rod could handle that much stress!
Fish killer 101

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 10:00:46 PM »

I'm going up there for the salmon and trout in a couple of weeks mabey i'll see u there i fish just above spences bridge some good runs in there with good sized fish!  I find nymphing to be the best way to hook up on the big boys! While nymphing last year i hooked a nice jack that had his way with me and my 6wt untill i got pissed off and just forced him in! I was surprised my rod could handle that much stress!

could someone explain how and what you use when nymphing please? I've done some limited with egg patterns on the nooky and caught some dollies but wonder if on the T. you'd use different patterns an how you set up your stick..Thanks.

Oh and P.S. Rodney...maybe your not catching any fish cause your staring at nina's legs too much :D ;) :D Nice fish 2 :o

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »

Rod next trip stop in at the Bighorn Trading Post and I'll point you in the right direction and set you up with the right flies. I sold a guy (from Alberta) 5 of my Stimulators Sunday morning (the 14th). He came back that afternoon to tell me that he thought they were to big but had tried them anyway and landed two Bow over 50cm. By the way you could have done Bed & Breakfast at the Inn At The Bridge and had all the fish you wanted within 10K. I'm serious "Next time come see me!"
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:41:39 AM »

Well as Rodney said, I also ventured up to the Thompson on the weekend.  Sunday made for a long day as my Dad, Carlo and I headed down to the Spences Bridge area to look around and get acquainted with the various runs.  The area has a lot of water to cover and we had decided that we wanted to fish various points upstream, therefore, we only fished the small side channel downstream from the Cal Woods park.  The area has so much water that it would take all day just to fish all of the various runs.  Pulled out a few fish from the area we fished and we ended heading up stream stopping and fishing at Martel and Juniper Beach where we met up with Rodney and Nina.  Some pics from Sunday.

Carlo at Spences Bridge

Close up

I need a nicer reel for pics!!  ;D ;D

Another Carlo hero shot

Fishing was good with both dries and nymphs as I wound up with double digit numbers of fish on Sunday all on the dry and if Carlo could actually land fish that he had hooked he would also be pretty close to a double digit count on nymphs!! :o :o

Monday was a short day as we needed to head back to Vancouver.  We only fished Wallachin and Juniper Beach but to be honest, I think we were VERY tired from the previous day, and we didn't fish as hard as we usually do.  I ended up only landing one fish around 12" and missed a few others.  All in all, it was once again an enjoyable weekend but fishing was definitely not as fast and furious as it was 2 weeks ago.

Shane

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »

Those are some beauty pics. I think that Rod should put that close up one from itosh in next months fishy shot. That has got to be one of the best pics of a fish I have seen. Great job by all and it sounds like everyone had a great time. I am so jealous.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 12:23:32 PM »

thanks for the report, those are some great pics, definatley fishyshot material
weeeeeeeeeow!

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:31:47 PM »

Rod, where's part III?  ::)

The Thompson is an amazing river with its desert like climate and plateau topography. The fishing was not as fast and furious as it was a couple of weeks ago, but we Itosh and I managed to find some nice trout in some new water. I learned a few things this trip too, such as the Thompson fish love foam and rubber legged creations, and short nymphing in super deep water is productive too  ;D  It was sure exciting watching rainbows go airborne to snatch a foam hopper off the surface  ;) Yeah, I'm not quite sure why I lost so many fish and missed so many aswell  :-[

gt and THE ROE KID, are my pics worthy of fishy shot of the month too?  ;)

Here's a hero shot of Itosh

Golfman65, nymphing is fairly new to me, but I have been very successful with it. I use a strike indicator 100% of the time along with weighed flies and sometimes extra split shot aswell. The key is to get a nice drag free drift, just imagine the strike indicator as a dry fly :D  If there is drag on your indicator than your fly will be dragged aswell, thereby making an unatural presentation. I usually adjust my depth from about the same depth in water to about 1.5 times the depth of the water. However, fish tend to look up, so in many situations its does not matter that your fly is several feet off the bottom  8)  My leader is usually about 8-12ft long in total, I also like to use fluorocarbon tippet too.

Carlo

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 05:54:14 PM »

Part III is coming, Nina is making me cooking her dinner right now. :P

Golfman: I have some pix of the flies that we used, will show them later on in the reports. ;)

Newsman: I'll take that offer for sure next time. ;)

CM and itosh: You're supposed to hide those photos. ;D

Both CM and itosh have been excellent with their trout photography this year, I am amazed. :) I'll be putting up a pictorial of their work in the fishing photos section very soon. :)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 05:57:03 PM »

Those are some great pics guys, good to see u guys are hooking fish! I hope i can do the same when i head up there! Any signs of the springs! I'm going up for both! Trout on the fly springs on the drift! So both dry flies and nymphs work thats good to here! Keep the reports coming boys!
Fish killer 101

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 06:04:18 PM »

Hey chrome mykiss, I definatly love the pic where the water is coming off of the fish. Great timeing on that one. And yes that one should also be a fishy shot of the month. I do not know how Rodney would make that call though. Maybe you guys should consider sending them to a fly fishing magazine. I bet they would definatly be interested, it sure shows how beautiful some of our fish are here in B.C .
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:01:26 PM by gt »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 06:08:46 PM »

Incredible pics CM!! :o Some of the best I have evr seen!!! :) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!