Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Locking A Topic Tonight  (Read 3689 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Locking A Topic Tonight
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »

I know I most likely will be in the minority but I have to register a complaint that a topic was locked tonight.

I know being a monitor can not the easiest job at times but the topic "corkies" was not causing any major problems as I thought it was a fairly civil discussion between the 15 people that posted in the topic. I even had my wife read it to get her perspective on what was written and for once in 40 years of marriage she agreeded with me on something. ;D ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Locking A Topic Tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 10:32:51 PM »

Locked?  That is a bit surprising.  But other than that I am staying out of it!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 11:10:19 PM »

A bit weird why this was locked as it only contained information that was being shared in a manner that allowed those reading it to make their own decisions on it.

I think it's important to share both sides of an issue fully as it allows people a chance to make educated decisions for themselves.

Furthermore, while it may seem or be tiresome for many, I feel that the topic of the sockeye fishery needs to be kept fresh and in the spotlight (as appropriate) as there is constantly people new to fishing or this sockeye fishery checking things out and are unlikely to dig through old posts hoping to stumble upon information that they may or may not find interesting or useful on the topic. There is a great deal of reports about guys catching (snagging) sockeye, but very little to none that explains what is really going on and I dont think it's fair that the full story isnt available in light of this fact.

My opinion.  :D

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 11:24:35 PM by 2:40 »
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:15:19 AM »

May be it was way off topic?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:30:16 AM »

Boys-I missed the topic but sometimes between the times when you & I are reading/posting/getting on with our lives all kinds of weird s*** is being put up by some idiot/weirdo and maybe the Mod just had enough of hitting the delete key over&over&over.

Pure speculation on my part but I have seen it happen.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:56:16 AM »

Gee 2:40 you are one to talk. I know on your forum that you lock alot of the discussions after you put your two cents worth especially when there is talk about the sockeye fishery .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »

HA  I was thinking I would comment on your post on that original thread and then I decided not to...but seeing as it seems to be a pattern GT:

Ever considered that coments like: "Why don't you just keep your anti flossing campaing to your forum 2:40." and your last post on this thread are the reason threads get locked?

If we keep it civel then I don't think rod would closed down any thread...but a comment like "keep your anti flossing campaign to your own forum" certainly could create a S*** storm by calling a guy out.  My guess is that Rod did a pre-emtive strike to prevent a thread going off topic any further and getting toxic...as this one is close to doing with that last post  ::)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:49:21 AM »

I by no way was I trying to call him out and I apologize to 2:40 and everybody else if they felt that way. I was only trying to make a point especially with my last post on this thread.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:32:47 PM by gt »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »

My guess is that Rod did a pre-emtive strike to prevent a thread going off topic any further and getting toxic...as this one is close to doing with that last post  ::)
Rod was away fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:22 PM »

Yep, I managed to stay away from the screen for over 48 hours! :o

Just arrived home. Very tired, but very very tanned... and smelly... ;D

I'll read the posts later on tonight if I am not still tired, and smelly. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »

Yep, I managed to stay away from the screen for over 48 hours! :o

Just arrived home. Very tired, but very very tanned... and smelly... ;D

I'll read the posts later on tonight if I am not still tired, and smelly. :)
Just sent you a e-mail re this, donot worry about responding to it tonight as you are too tired, tanned, and smelly. ;D ;D ;D

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:15:28 PM »

I by no way was I trying to call him out and I apologize to 2:40 and everybody else if they felt that way. I was only trying to make a point especially with my last post on this thread.

No sweat at all and thanks for the kind words. Ill speak to your point and I apologize for dragging in the business of other sites especially since it really has nothing to do with anything here and plus, as sam salmon mentioned, it isnt always easy to see the behind the scenes stuff (where I was questioned earlier is no exception). Moderating sites is not an easy task to keep as many people happy and also maintain a neutral and unbiased perspective when doing such. Hats off to anyone who has chosen this miserable task as wow, us anglers sure can get carried away!  :o   Ill let you know, gt, via PM in regards to your point(s).

I think civil discussion is important and each topic should be given a good chance to keep and maintain such regardless of the topic or any member(s) personal feelings or opinion of the topic.

Might be something to keep in mind is to share touchy issues appropriately. This would not include going to a fishing report about a day's flossing and sharing my thoughts and views on it. Same for how a fish was handled/beached, was it a boot, what NHL team hat was the guy wearing and etc. Might be better to start a new thread to address said issues and leave the fishing report as what it is and not rain on the guy's parade. This will better allow members who wish to stay clear of any of these topics to do just that, and will also allow people who wish to share and inform on topics an opportunity to do so. A win-win?

Welcome back Rod. If you're smelly, it must mean you handled some fish.  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »

Welcome back Rod. If you're smelly, it must mean you handled some fish.  ;D

Or lack of shower facility ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 10:53:43 PM »

Or lack of shower facility ;D

Yeah, we really roughed it this weekend, wait until you read the story in the report later on. ;D