Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Snags  (Read 1793 times)

Robbie

Removing Snags
« on: August 12, 2006, 12:35:29 AM »

I read on another forum about people in large jet boats being able to pull snags (I suppose logs and big chunks of concrete and whatnot) out of the river.   How would one go about doing this?  With an anchor?  Seems kind of strange to me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:44:35 AM by Robbie »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Removing Snags
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 12:47:48 AM »

Grappling hooks.

Robbie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 12:50:27 AM »

Thank you for the reply, but how do they pull them out?  Tie a rope to the boat and drive away?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 01:59:32 PM »

I had a buddy that had a 18 inch piece of 3/4 inch bar rod.  He took a bunch of 1/8 rod stock and welded 40 or so hooks onto the bar.  he had that attached to a 200lb test nylon rope and he would throw that out towards a snagg and then pull in what ever he could...his aim was to get thos big rats nest of line and betties - not to remove trees etc.  It worked quite well.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »

I would think that if your friend was removing "garbage, rats nest of old nets ect" from the river he will be fine. However if he is removing logs, wood and large rocks he would be breaking the law as all of those things are considerd by law to be fish habitat. Large woody debris is critically important on most streams and removing it just so you can have a nicer fishing run is very self serving. Best talk to the DFO Habitat people about this before he runs into trouble. Sounds like from your post he is not doing this but we all know how things like this work on the Fraser. Monkey see, monkey do,

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:38:07 PM »

;) well put check with dfo so no one gets into trouble for trying to do the fisherman a favor 8)