Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For Everyones Sanity...  (Read 4305 times)

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: For Everyones Sanity...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »

If everyone casted short they'd actually catch fish! But what do I know, I only get my limit everyday before anyone else even has a fish with no longer than a 10 foot leader. Some people just don't get it, same thing every year.

Not always true, there are MANY bars where it is necessary to cast that far to consistantly get fish...including peg leg (shudder)

Although I haven't fished pegleg this year thank God that bar is always the bar where you have to cast short, most fish there sit 20-30 feet off shore. The only reason people think you have to cast far is because you end up getting fish when you do, it's just that it has to drift wayyyy down until you finally get into the fish lane so why not just make a shorter quicker casts in the area where the fish are than waiting for you line to drift all the way down all the time. You'll seem a couple caught farther out but WAY more closer in, but since everyone casts so far they have no idea until you leave with your limit  ;D. Just from my experience.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 05:40:15 PM »

dont pee in the water if your at the top of the run, be kind and pee on the shore!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 07:39:56 PM »

dont pee in the water if your at the top of the run, be kind and pee on the shore!

Good luck getting your spot back  ;D

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 11:21:46 PM »

...when your out on the river fishing for sockeye, especially on crowded bars, please do not cast upstream. If you're getting tangled with people above you, chances are that you're casting upstream and short. Despite what most people will tell you, cast straight out from you, you'll hit just as many fish and won't tangle other people. Also, try to match the distance people around you are casting. If everyone is casting far out around you and you cast short, of course you're going to get caught on other people and yes its your fault...

Well that feels a little better  ;)

I agree with some of the points.  However, I disagree with the cast distance requirement.  It's okay to cast short, so long as you do not reel in your line while there are lines under yours.  I get along just fine with some old timers that still fish out there.  They cannot cast long distance, but they are smart enough not to reel in their lines when lines of others are under theirs.  This is a simple common sense that seems to elude people.  Even some people that suppose to know and dictating how etiquete should be does not seems to understand this simple concept. ???
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor